Mercedes-Benz has introduced the new facelifted and updated 2014 E-Class Sedan and Wagon. The new 2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class will make its public debut at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show and will go on sale in the United States in the Spring. Interesting part is, Mercedes-Benz says that a total of 11 new or optimized assistance systems from the future S-Class will debut on the new E-Class sedan and wagon models.
“By conducting such a comprehensive redevelopment of the E-Class range, Mercedes- Benz is ensuring that its customers benefit from the very latest technical advances as soon as possible,” the company said in a statement. “The new E-Class also comes with distinctive updates in its styling for an elegant and sporty look, as well as significantly enhanced comfort features and upscale equipment, rounded-off by an exceptional level of efficiency and everyday driving pleasure. All of this comes together to ensure that the E-Class continues to consolidate its leading position in the luxury segment.”
Power for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class comes from a choice of four powertrains. The Mercedes-Benz E250 BluTEC is powered by a 2.1 liter 4-cylinder diesel engine making 190-hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The 2014 Mercedes E350, and E350 4MATIC Wagon are powered by a 3.5 liter V6 making 302-hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. The E400 HYBRID Sedan is powered by electric motor making 27-hp and 184 lb-ft of torque mated to the 3.5 liter gasoline engine. The top-of-the-line Mercedes-Benz E550 4MATIC Sport Sedan is powered by a 5.5 liter turbocharged V8 making 402 hp and 443 lb.-ft.
Mercedes-Benz says that the 2014 E63 AMG sedan and wagon will launch in fall 2013 and will come with the AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7-speed MCT and 4MATIC in the United States. More details will be released in Detroit.
Technology features include Intelligent Drive (a mixture of PRE-SAFE and DISTRONIC PLUS), Stereo Multi-Purpose Camera, COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST and ATTENTION ASSIST.
Also available are a number of assistance systems that are either new or now feature significantly enhanced functionality. In overview:
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist can help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane and can semi-autonomously follow in-line traffic.
- For the first time, the Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Cross- Traffic Assist is able to detect crossing traffic and pedestrians, and boost the braking power applied by the driver accordingly
- The PRE-SAFE Brake can now detect pedestrians as well and initiate autonomous braking.
- PRE-SAFE PLUS can identify an imminent rear-end collision and then prompt the PRE-SAFE® system to trigger occupant protection measures that reduce the forces exerted on passengers. If the vehicle is stationary, it can also prevent secondary accidents in the event of a rear-end collision by applying the brakes
- Active Lane Keeping Assist can now detect when the adjacent lane is not clear, including the presence of oncoming traffic, overtaking vehicles, crash barriers etc. Under threat of a collision, even if the lane marking is not a solid line, the system can prevent the vehicle from leaving its lane unintentionally by applying the brakes on one side. This system pairs perfectly with Active Blind Spot Assist.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS allows high beam to remain permanently switched on without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the beams’ cone of light.
- Active Parking Assist enables automated parking with active steering and brake control in both parallel and perpendicular spaces
- The Surround View Camera will cover all four sides of the vehicle and enable a 360-degree view including virtual bird’s-eye perspective – a top view of the vehicle and its immediate surroundings. Dynamic guide lines help during parking and maneuvering.
When it comes to infotainment, Mercedes-Benz 2014 E-Class sedan and wagon are available with the COMAND system featuring AM/FM/WB radio, indash DVD/CD player, in-dash memory card slot, Bluetooth. Standard equipment includes a central controller with a 7-inch, high-resolution display and a color display in the instrument cluster.
“We are setting clear trends in terms of safety, design and efficiency with the new E-Class,” said Dr. Joachim Schmidt, Executive Vice President Sales and Marketing Mercedes- Benz Cars. “It puts many technical innovations on the road and undoubtedly is the best E-Class ever. This also finds expression in its design and its carefully revised interior, which bring a breath of fresh air to the luxury class. The ‘E’ thus continues to hold its place at the very top of this demanding segment.”
– By: Omar Rana