At an event today at The Royal Ballet School in Richmond, London, Land Rover took the covers off of the new 2013 Range Rover. The new model features a lightweight all-aluminium body, a complete new redesign, interior refinement and upgrades, enhanced performance and handling on all terrains and a bunch of new technology.
“The new Range Rover preserves the essential, unique character of the vehicle – that special blend of luxury, performance and unmatched all-terrain capability,” said John Edwards, Land Rover Global Brand Director. “However, its clean sheet design and revolutionary lightweight construction have enabled us to transform the experience for luxury vehicle customers, with a step change in comfort, refinement and handling.”
The 2013 Range Rover has been engineered from the ground up with the adoption of the latest body and chassis technologies, the vehicle’s all-terrain performance has moved on to another level. Amongst new innovations is the next-generation version of Land Rover’s Terrain Response system, which analyses the current driving conditions and automatically select the most suitable vehicle settings.
In North America, the 2013 Range Rover will be available with two gasoline engine options including a 375-hp 5.0 liter V8 that will allow it to go from 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds. The other option is a 5.0 liter supercharged V8 making 503-hp, allowing the new Rover to go from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.1 seconds.
Land Rover also confirmed that there will be a diesel hybrid model later in 2013. That model is not expected to come to the United States.
Premium Range Rover technologies
- Convenience – premium features including keyless entry, soft door close with power latching, power upper and lower tailgates, cooler compartments, and electrically deployable towbar
- High-end audio from British specialists Meridian – exclusive surround sound music systems with audiophile-quality sound
- Displays – state-of-the-art high-resolution displays, include the stunning full digital instrument cluster and the central 8-inch touch-screen with Dual-View functionality
- Voice control and connectivity – a seamless connectivity package for mobile devices
- Climate control – all-new best-in-class climate control systems, including the powerful new premium four-zone system and Park Heater timer facility
- Luxurious seating – upgraded seating with luxurious new features such as multi-mode massage, and the exclusive new Executive Class rear seating package
- Interior illumination – the latest LED illumination for subtle and sophisticated ambient lighting, including the ability to change the colour scheme to suit the driver’s mood
Driving, dynamics and performance:
- Two-channel Dynamic Response active lean control, and Adaptive Dynamics with continuously variable damping
- Electric Power Assisted Steering, which enables Park Assist – the latest automated technology to help drivers parallel park their car in tight urban parking spots
- Adaptive Cruise Control – with new Queue Assist feature which allows the system to continue functioning at low speeds and down to a complete stop
- Intelligent Emergency Braking (including Advanced Emergency Brake Assist) – to help drivers avoid a collision if the traffic ahead slows quickly or another vehicle suddenly moves into their lane
- Blind Spot Monitoring – with new Closing Vehicle Sensing feature to detect vehicles which are closing quickly from a further distance behind
- Reverse Traffic Detection – to warn drivers of potential collisions during reversing manoeuvres
- Surround Camera System – with T Junction view, Trailer reverse park guidance, and Trailer hitch guidance.
– By: Omar Rana