The 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE recently hit up at the famed Virginia International Raceway (VIR) ‘Grand Course’ with engineer Aaron Link behind the wheel. The Camaro 1LE lapped the VIR in 2:58.34 – a time previously achieved by only top performance cars.
“The Camaro 1LE combines the best elements of the SS and the ZL1 with a focus on handling,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “We optimized every part of the SS for improved track driving, including gear ratios, suspension tuning, and chassis mounts. The result really brings the Camaro SS alive at every turn – whether you’re carving through your favorite backroads or working on lap times on the track.”
Prices for the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE Package starts at $3,500 and is available on the Camaro 1SS and 2SS. A Camaro 1SS with the package starts at $37,035.
“Best of all, the Camaro 1LE is $10,000 less than its nearest competitor,” Oppenheiser said. “For drivers looking for an affordable way to get on the track, what they save with the 1LE will the cover a lot of days at the track.”
Power for the 2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS comes from a 6.2liter LS3 V8 making 426-hp and 420 lb-ft torque. The 1LE is only available with a 6-speed manual.
Hit the jump for the video and some 1LE press talk.
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
- Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
- Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
- ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
- 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
- ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
- ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering
Visually, the 1LE package for 2013 is distinguished by its matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.
Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded microfiber.
– By: Omar Rana