It’s been quite some time since we did a new edition of our ‘Top 10 most important things you need to know about” segment – so today we’re coming back strong with a look at the new 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera. Let’s get it started guys.
Top 10 things you need to know about the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera:
- Porsche says that the 2012 911 Carrera has been ‘completely redesigned’ for the 7th-generation model but you probably won’t be able to tell until you took a closer look at the rear-end of the car. As always, Porsche holds true to the 911 Carrera design philosophy of ‘evolution, not revolution.’ I mean why fix something that’s not broken.
- Nonetheless, weight of the new 2012 Porsche 911 was reduced thanks to a new lightweight body featuring aluminum-steel composite construction that reduces weight by 100 pounds.
- Time to pay attention: The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera is powered by a 3.4 liter boxer 6-cylinder making 350-hp with a maximum torque of 287 lb-ft. Mated to Porsche’s PDK 7-speed dual-clutch transmission the 911 Carrera runs from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and 4.2 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono Package’s Launch Control function. The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S is powered by a 3.8 liter 6-cylinder boxer producing 400-hp and 325 lb-ft of torque. With a PDK, the 911 Carrera S goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds and 3.9 seconds with the Launch Control function of the optional Sport Chrono Package.
- This year, Porsche is also offering a 7-speed manual. If you like circling through gets, the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, while the 911 Carrera S does it in 4.3 seconds. PDK may be the way to go this year.
- Reports say that the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S lapped the famous Nurburgring track in Germany a whole 13 seconds quicker (7:40 seconds) than the outgoing model – and that’s pretty impressive.
- The 2012 911 Carrera weighs in at 3,042 pounds while the 911 Carrera S comes in at 3,075 pounds.
- Fuel-economy: The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera returns an EPA-rated fuel-economy of 19/27/22 mpg (city/highway/combined). The 2012 911 Carrera S returns 19/26/22 mpg. Both have an estimated annual fuel-cost comes in at $2,427 (based on45% highway, 55% city driving, 15,000 annual miles and current fuel prices). Both also feature a 16.9 gallon tank.
- The 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera models come with an impressive list of standard features including Porsche Communication Management (PCM) featuring a high-resolution 7-inch color display (touch screen), dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth, AUX and iPod connectivity. Keep in mind that navigation is optional along with heated seats and much more.
- Prices for the 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera start at $82,100 while the 911 Carrera S starts at $96,400.
- The 2012 911 Carrera Cabriolet and 911 Carrera S Cabriolet start at $93,700 and $108,000 respectively.
Click here for more news on the Porsche 911.
– By: Omar Rana