Report: 91.9 million Americans to hit the roads for the year-end holidays

Chevrolet Volt Driving

The 11 days between December 23 and January 2 is known as the year-end holidays, and are the most traveled by Americans. This year, AAA is anticipating a 1.4 percent increase over last year’s travelers going over 50 miles to their destinations.

Last year, 90.7 million hit the roads, while this year 91.9 million have indicated their plans for holiday travel, which is 30 percent of Americans. A total of 91 percent will be venturing by car, and air travel has seen a dip of close to 10 percent from last year, at 5.4 million.

As for the economic impact on travel, 59 percent of Americans feel the economy has no bearing on their plans for travel, while the other 41 percent note that plans have been altered because of the state of the economy.

– By: Alexandra Koken

Source: Consumer Reports