The 2012 BMW 3 Series will be hitting dealerships early next year (Feb. 2012 to be exact) and if you’re excited and can’t wait to get into one – you might want to check out our new ‘Top 10 things you should know about the 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan.’
Check out our other Top 10 things you need to know lists.
Top 10 things you need to know about the 2012 BMW 3 Series Sedan:
- This is the 6th generation 3 Series sedan and it’s one of the best looking 3s we’ve ever seen. While the 3 Series Sedan will go on sale in Feb. 2012, the 3 Series Coupe will stick around for at least 3 more years. Sales of the 2012 BMW 3 Series will start with the rear-wheel-drive 328i and the 335i – that will be followed by the xDrive models.
- Welcome the 4-banger turbo. The 2012 BMW 328i is now powered by a 2.0 liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine making 240-hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. That allows 0 to 60 mph to come in just 5.7 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph (the outgoing 328i does it in 6.9 seconds). The 2012 335i gets a N55 3.0 liter 6-cylinder TwinPower Turbo engine making 300-hp with a maximum torque of 300 lb-ft. 0 to 60 mph comes in 5.4 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph.
- 6-speed manual transmission is standard with an 8-speed automatic offered as well.
- BMW EfficientDynamics technologies have been added to the line-up with Auto Start-Stop and Brake Energy Regeneration. Both will increase fuel-economy of the new 3.
- In late 2012, the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will go on sale with the N55 300-hp 6-cylinder engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (same engine from the 335i). The engine is mated an 8-speed automatic transmission and an electric-motor that makes 55-hp. Together, the engine and the hybrid system produce 335-hp with a maximum torque of 330 lb-ft. It should average above 36 mpg.
- The 2012 BMW 3 Sedan will be available in three trim levels including Sport Line, Luxury Line and Modern Line. Click here to read more about each trim level, but we will tell you that the Sport Line increases top speed to 155 mph and adds a very sporty look you won’t get with the other trim levels.
- The BMW 3 Series Sedan with the M Sport Package won’t be available until July 2012.
- Prices for the 2012 328i Sedan start at $35,795 while the 2012 335i Sedan starts at $43,295.
- While those numbers are higher than the outgoing model by more than $300, the new cars add a significantly higher level of standard equipment. What’s standard you ask? A 6.5-inch central display with iDrive controller, Bluetooth connectivity, USB/iPod interface, 8-Speed Automatic Transmission, Automatic Start/Stop, Dynamic Driving Control with ECO PRO Mode and Brake Energy Regeneration. Both models also get larger wheels and tires as standard equipment.
- Not only does the 2012 3 Series come with an optional rear view camera this time around but it also has a surround View deliver a bird-eye overview.
Click here for more news on the BMW 3-Series.
– By: Omar Rana