The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is one of the most anticipated sports cars of 2012, so we figured what better car to feature in today’s episode of our “top 10 most important things you need to know about” segment.
Check out our other Top 10 things you need to know lists.
Top 10 things you need to know about the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1:
- It is the fastest, most powerful Camaro in history. It’s so powerful that the ZL1’s chief engineer, Al Oppenheiser, wants Ford Mustang fans to thank the ZL1. “For Mustang fans, you’re welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us,” Oppenheiser recently said.
- Power comes from a supercharged 6.2L LSA engine making an SAE-rated at 580 horsepower at 6,100 rpm and 556 lb-ft. of torque at 3,800 rpm.
- Power goes to the rear wheels through either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.
- Performance? Apparently the automatic is faster in every way:
Manual Automatic 0 – 60 mph (from rolling start) 4.0 seconds 3.9 seconds 1/4-mile (from a rolling start) 12.1 sec at 119 mph 12.0 sec at 119 mph Top speed 180 mph 184 mph Max lateral grip 1.0 g 1.0 g
- It lapped the Nurburgring in 7:41.27.
- It will come with an standard Performance Traction Management (from the Corvette ZR1) and the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control. There are three settings for Magnetic Ride Control in the ZL1: Tour, Sport, and Track. Those that opt for the 6-speed automatic will also three drive modes including Drive, Sport and Manual (learn more here).
- Prices start at $54,995. Some supercars that have less power than the ZL1 but cost more:
Base price Horsepower Torque Magnetic Ride Camaro ZL1 $54,995 580 556 Standard Audi R8 GT $196,800 560 398 Standard Maserati GranTurismo $122,800 405 339 Not available Mercedes SLS AMG $185,750 565 479 Not available
- The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 comes standard with a 9-speaker Boston Acoustics audio system; USB and Bluetooth connectivity; and rear-park assist with a rear-view camera in the center rear-view mirror. Only 6 options are available including: $1,185 for the automatic transmission, $470 for 20-inch wheels, $900 for a sunroof, $470 for stripes, $600 for carbon fiber hood insert and $500 for some suede on the inside.
- It requires premium fuel and has a tank capacity of 19 gallons. Fuel-economy figures will be announced later but expect the numbers to empty out your wallet.
- Sales will start in spring 2012. The Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Convertible will arrive in summer of 2012.
Click here for more news on the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.
– By: Omar Rana