Last week, we introduced a new segment here at egmCarTech that gives you a breakdown of the top 10 most important things you need to know about a certain car. Yes, we know that we’ve been focusing a lot on supercars with the new segment but we really can’t help it. So, today, we’re not changing it up at all – we’re sticking to supercars and today we bring you the top 10 things you need to know about the new McLaren MP4-12C.
Top 10 things you need to know about the McLaren MP4-12C:
- It is the first production car wholly designed and built by the company since the McLaren F1.
- The car’s main benchmark was the Ferrari 458 Italia and when strictly talking numbers, it’s just a tad bit faster than the Italian stallion.
- Power comes from a 3.8 liter twin-turbo V8 making 592-hp at 7,000 rpm and a peak torque of 443 lb-ft between 3,000 and 7,000 rpm.
- The engine is mated to a 7-speed Seamless Shift dual-clutch gearbox.
- It runs from 0 to 62 mph in 3.3 seconds with a top speed of 205 mph (Corsa tire option shaves 0.2 seconds off the 0-62 mph time).
- It weighs just 2,868 pounds.
- The MP4-12C unofficially lapped the Nurburgring in 7 minutes and 28 seconds – it is also the second fastest car to lap the Top Gear UK track, returning a lap time of 1:16.2.
- The MP4 stands for McLaren Project 4, the chassis designation for all McLaren Formula 1 cars since 1981. The 12 refers to McLaren’s internal Vehicle Performance Index through which the company rates key performance criteria both for competitors and for its own cars. The C simply stands for Carbon.
- A convertible MP4-12C is under development.
- Prices start at $231,400.
Click here for more news on the McLaren MP4-12C.
– By: Omar Rana