Earlier today, BMW launched its new BMW i brand with two new concepts including the BMW i3 and the BMW i8. The fully electric BMW i3 will hit markets in 2013, while the plug-in hybrid BMW i8 sports car will arrive in dealerships in 2014.
If there are any of you that prefer bullet points and watching videos rather than reading paragraphs of info, we have compiled a post for you with a bunch of interesting points and videos to give you a closer look at the new BMW i brand and the i3 and i8.
Interesting BMW i3 Facts:
- Electric-motor sits on the rear axle and produces 170-hp with a maximum torque of 184 lb-ft.
- 0 to 37 in less than 4 seconds; 0 to 62 mph in less than 8 seconds; top speed of 93 mph.
- Total range of up to 100 miles, range extender (small engine) is optional.
- Full charge takes 6 hours; 80 percent charge reached in 1 hours with quick charger.
- Offers room for four passengers with around 200 litres of boot space.
- Extensive use of natural fibres and naturally tanned leather on the inside; 25% of the weight of the interior plastic is accounted for by recycled or renewable raw materials.
- Three large displays act as interfaces between the vehicle and the outside world; Central information display (CID) monitor positioned above the control panel for the radio and climate system; Driver gets 6.5-inch instrument cluster.
- Has Traffic Jam Assistant; allows BMW i3 to maintain a specified following distance from the vehicle in front, and in heavy traffic can autonomously control the speed of the vehicle right down to a standstill while providing active steering input.
Click here for our original post on the BMW i3 Concept.
Interesting BMW i8 Facts:
- Gets modified motor from BMW i3 at the front axle. A 1.5 liter 3-cylinder gasoline engine making 220-hp and 221 lb-ft of torque moves the rear axle; total output of 349-hp and 405 lb-ft of torque.
- Mated to a twin-speed transmission, 0 to 62 mph comes in less than 5 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph.
- Full charge of its lithium-ion battery provides all-electric driving range of approximately 20 miles. Rumored total range of 400 miles.
- 2+2-seats offers space for four people.
- Two drive systems allows all four wheels to be driven at the same time, similar to an all-wheel-drive vehicle. This combines advantages of front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
- Interior has a Porcelain White support structure, black technical level and a section with Mocha Brown leather.
- 8.8-inch freestanding information display in the dash is joined by an equally large display taking the role of the instrument cluster for the driver.
Click here for our original post on the BMW i8 Concept.
Hit the jump for the videos.
BMW i. Born Electric. The BMW i3 Concept & BMW i8 Concept:
BMW i3 Concept:
BMW i8 Concept:
BMW i3 Concept. Interface Design:
BMW i8 Concept. Interface Design:
BMW i3 Concept Driving:
BMW i3 Concept LifeDrive:
BMW i8 Concept Aero Design:
BMW i8 Concept Driving:
BMW i8 Concept LifeDrive:
BMW i3 Concept 360° View:
BMW i8 Concept 360° View:
BMW i8 Concept and BMW i3 Concept 360° View:
BMW i3 Concept:
BMW i8 Concept:
– By: Omar Rana