Following the debut of the 2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder, the German automaker has updated the Audi R8 GT coupe for the 2012 model year.
As the first limited production sports car by Audi, only 33 units will be made worldwide with just 90 units destined for the United States.
Prices for the 2012 Audi R8 GT start at $196,800.
Click here for more news on the Audi R8.
Hit the jump for the high-res gallery and the press talk.
Refresher: The Audi R8 GT is powered by a modified version of the 5.2L V10 making 560-hp (an increase of 35-hp) and a peak torque of 398.28 lb-ft. That allows 0-62 mph to come in 3.6 seconds with a top speed of 198.84 mph. The V10 gets a specific power output of 107.6-hp per liter displacement. Audi will only make 333 units of the R8 GT.
The new 2012 Audi R8 GT
Audi has created the very special, limited-edition R8 GT for the 2012 MY. The R8 GT builds on the award-winning R8 Coupe and Spyder and represents the pinnacle of performance in the Audi model line. This is the first limited production sports car produced by Audi, and only 333 units will be built worldwide with 90 units destined for the U.S. Each R8 GT has its production number displayed on the gear shift. The R8 GT starting price is $196,800.
The exceptional performance characteristics of the Audi R8 GT are the result of a combination of advanced, lightweight materials and increased power. Audi has taken its 5.2 liter V10 and boosted output to 560 hp, generating 398 lb-ft of torque and propelling the vehicle from 0-60 in an exhilarating 3.6 seconds, with a top speed of 198.84 mph, and red lining at 8700 rpm. The combination of quattro® permanent all-wheel drive and the performance tuned suspension ensure that the power of the R8 GT is translated to the road, while the R tronic® sequential gearbox with paddle shifters provides responsive gear changes.
R8 GT performance is greatly enhanced through the use of carbon fiber and aerodynamic improvements. The carbon fiber front bumper features aerodynamic flics at the front corners, increasing down force on the front axle, while the stationary carbon fiber rear wing and diffuser increase down force on the rear axle and shave 11.5 lb off the production version R8 V10. Carbon fiber elements are used strategically throughout the body to reduce weight further.
Weight optimization was performed on virtually every component and body part, including the battery, air intakes and braking system. The rear hatch has been optimized to save 17.6 lb of vehicle weight. In total, the R8 GT is approximately 180 lb lighter than the formidable R8 V10.
The matte carbon fiber monoposto cockpit, with perfectly placed controls, defines the driver-oriented interior. Alcantara® surfaces and appointments are standard on the seats, steering wheel, hand brake, knee pad and headliner, all adorned with a choice of three contrasting stitching colors. Creating a seamless look from outside to inside, exterior color accents have been carried over to the interior.
ASF® frame technology makes use of aluminum throughout the body and helps maintain the low, overall weight of the R8 GT. ASF also helps increase vehicle rigidity for improved handling and performance.
While designed for performance, the R8 GT interior also exudes refinement offering available Audi MMI® Navigation, automatic air conditioning, and premium sound system.
Of course, extraordinary performance requires a measure of safety, always a priority with Audi. The R8 GT features Electronic Stability Control (ESC), energy absorbing reinforcements in the front and rear and a full complement of air bags. A tire pressure monitoring system helps ensure that owners are warned if pressure falls below a preset threshold.
The Audi R8 GT is an exceptionally performing sports car representing the engineering attention to detail for which Audi is known. It joins the R8 V8 and R8 V10 Coupes and Spyders as the pinnacle of Audi performance models. Production is limited to 333 worldwide with only 90 vehicles destined for the U.S., making the R8 GT an attractive performance machine for collectors and enthusiasts alike.
5.2 liter FSI® V10 generating 560 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque, mated to a 6-speed R tronic sequential transmission with launch control
• Finely-tuned, high-end sport suspension
• Servotronic hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion steering with speed-dependent power assistance
• ASF technology and aluminum body, resulting in an extremely rigid and high-strength frame
• Double wishbone, aluminum front and rear suspension
• Specially designed 19-inch forged wheels
• Available Audi carbon ceramic brakes with perforated brake discs and red anodized brake calipers
• Extensive use of carbon fiber, including front double splitter lip at the base of the bumper, side blades that direct air to the engine, the fixed rear spoiler, side mirror covers, and rear bumper and diffuser
• While everything from the body to the gear shifter was optimized to save weight, the major weight saving components are (in lb):
o Lightweight Battery – 20.7
o Carpeting – 17.4
o Rear hatch – 12.8
o Rear bumper and diffuser – 17.6
o Braking system – 8.8
o Air intake system – 5.0
o Hood – 5.3
o Side blades – 3.3
o Rear fixed spoiler – 3.3
• Full LED headlights, daytime running lights and rear lights
• U.S. curb weight: 3,538 lb
o Length: 174.6 in
o Width: 76 in (without mirrors), 79.9 with mirrors
o Height: 49.0 in
o Luggage capacity: 3.53 cu ft
o Coefficient of Drag = 0.36
• Specially designed and numbered R tronic shifter with a carbon fiber stalk
• Carbon fiber matte monoposto arch spans the cockpit
• Illuminated door sill inserts available featuring the R8 GT emblem
• R8 GT emblem on the instrument cluster that features white backlit gauges
• Focus on use of lightweight materials such as rich looking Alcantara surfaces, which cover the multifunctional sport steering wheel, headliner, roof posts, knee pad, handbrake lever, and sport seats; a full leather package is available
• 10-way power, heated front sport seats with head rests that feature the Audi backguard system
• Audi MMI Navigation plus, including real time traffic
• Premium audio system, with an available 12-speaker, 465 watt, Bang and Olufsen® sound system
• Audi music interface for connecting mobile devices available
• Driver, passenger full size airbags
• Driver, passenger seat mounted head and chest side airbags
• Driver, passenger knee bags
• Rigid body shell utilizing ASF technology, front and rear crumple zones
• Audi backguard system helps protect occupant’s upper body and supports the head during early stage of impact
• Fuel supply is shut off, battery cable is interrupted if a crash occurs
– By: Omar Rana