The Chevrolet Corvette returned to the world’s most-demanding testing ground and the backyard to some of its most major competitors – Germany’s Nurburgring Nordschleife.
For the 2012 model year, the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 recorded a lap time of 7:19.63, more than six seconds faster than the previous Corvette-best recorded in 2008 (7:26.24) – that is astonishingly fast! Just like in 2008, the car was driven by Corvette engineer Jim Mero and was a full production model with no performance modifications. This test was to validate the car’s added performance technology coming to production later this summer for the 2012 model year.
Click here for more details on the 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.
”Testing at the Nurburgring is one of the important methods we have to validate our car in the toughest track conditions.” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer.
GM has released an ‘inside point-of-view’ video for our viewing pleasure and says that a lap video featuring the Corvette Z06 will be released soon.
Here is an updated list of Nurubrgring Lap Times to give you an idea of where the 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 stands:
- Radical SR8 LM: 6:48 (Aug. 2009).
- Radical SR8: 6:55 (Sept. 2005).
- Gumpert Apollo Speed: 7:11.5 (Aug. 2009).
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 7:18 (Apr. 2010).
- 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: 7:19.63 (Jun. 2011).
- Dodge Viper ACR: 7:22.1 (Aug. 2008).
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 7:24 (Nov. 2010).
- 2011 Nissan GT-R: 7:24.22 (Oct. 2010).
- Maserati MC12: 7:24.3 (Aug. 2008).
- Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: 7:24.44 (Aug. 2008).
- Ferrari Enzo: 7:25.7 (Aug. 2008).
- Ferrari 458 Italia: 7:32.02 (Nov. 2010).
- Koenigsegg CCX: 7:33.6 (Aug. 2008).
- Koenigsegg CCR: 7:34 (Oct. 2005).
- Lexus LFA: 7:38 (Sept. 2010).
Hit the jump for the video.
– By: Omar Rana