The automotive industry is embracing electric-vehicles with open arms and so is Ward’s 10 Best Engines list for 2011. Both the Nissan LEAF electric-car and the Chevrolet extended-range electric plug-in hybrid made it onto the 2011 list as selected by Ward’s team of editors, which tested over 35 vehicles.
Of course the whole list isn’t just about fuel-efficiency and caring for mother nature – you also have engines like the 3.0L TFSI Supercharged V6 from the Audi S4, the 5.0L V8 Boss from the 2011 Mustang GT, and the 3.0L N55 turbocharged inline 6-cylinder from the BMW 335i.
“We have something for everybody on this year’s Ward’s 10 Best Engines list,” says Drew Winter, editor-in-chief of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine. “It’s the most diverse mix we’ve ever had, as well as the most technologically advanced.”
Check out the full list after the jump.
- 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
- 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i)
- 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mini Cooper S)
- 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Dodge Avenger)
- 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
- 1.4L DOHC I-4/111kW Drive Motor (Chevrolet Volt)
- 5.0L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
- 80kW AC Synchronous Electric Motor (Nissan Leaf)
- 2.0L DOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta TDI)
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (Volvo S60)
– By: Zain Haq