For townships looking to replace their current GM police interceptor vehicles, General Motors announced today that its 2011 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle with a detective package will be available for order starting October 2010 with deliveries to begin in April 2011. The police package Chevrolet Caprice PPV will be available to order in January 2011 and will be delivered to go on duty in June 2011.
“When we began designing our latest police vehicle, we went directly to our customers and found that they were looking for a rear-wheel, large sedan with a V-8 engine,” said Brian Small, general manager, GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. “By announcing the available specs and ordering information now, we”re following through with our promise to provide them with the advanced technologies that best serve their needs for comfort, performance and safety.”
Refresher: Power comes from a 6.0L V8 engine that produces 355-hp with a peak torque of 384 lb-ft. Mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission, 0 to 60 mph in the sub 6-second range. The Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle is scheduled to hit the streets in 2011. GM says that a V6 option will also be offered beginning in the 2012 model year.
Make the jump for the video.
2011 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV):
Chevrolet Prepares 2011 Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle for Duty
– Specifications, order and delivery dates now available
– Unique to the police market ““ designed and built to law enforcement specifications
DETROIT ““ General Motors today announced order and delivery dates, as well as final package specifications, for the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV). The rear-wheel-drive Caprice PPV joins the front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala and the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV, making Chevrolet the only brand to offer a full line of police vehicles.
Chevrolet will begin taking orders for the Caprice PPV detective package (9C3) in October 2010. Vehicles will hit the streets in April 2011. Ordering for the police package (9C1) will begin in January 2011 and the vehicles go on duty next June.
The all-new Caprice PPV features:
- Comfort: Segment-leading interior volume (112 cubic feet / 3,172 liters) provides a spacious interior, providing officers with more comfort for long hours on patrol. In addition, it has specially designed front seats sculptured to allow for gun belts. The seats are made with high wear material and have a seat back security panel. There”s also an eight-way power driver”s seat with reclining back and lumbar control, featuring quick-adjust manual fore and aft movement for additional comfort.
- Performance: Responsive rear-wheel-drive and a powerful 6.0L V-8 engine, with 355 horsepower and 384 lb.-ft. torque, including the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability. It delivers expected best-in-class top speed and zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. A V-6 engine also will be available beginning in the 2012 model year. In addition, the 6-speed transmission has sport shift calibrations for performance driving. A 2.92 axle ratio with limited slip is standard.
- Safety: Full-width prisoner partition enabled by front seat only head curtain with side impact airbags. Rear seat head curtain side impact airbags are available. StabiliTrak, GM”s electronic stability control technology, provides a “police performance” mode for enhanced stability during high-speed driving.
- Exterior: Vehicle has an overall length of 204.2 inches (5,186.1 mm), an overall width of 74.75 inches (1,898.7 mm) and an overall height of 58.66 inches (1,489.95 mm). Efficient packaging allows spacious interior, without showing it on the exterior. Standard 18-inch steel wheels with bolt on center caps and wheel covers.
- Interior: Designed for five-passenger seating, the upper-center section of the dashboard can be used for equipment mounting without concern of air bag deployment interference. A certified speedometer (160-mph certified analog) includes trip odometer, warning lights and multifunction display with Engine Oil Life monitor. A Driver Information Center with a “Trap Speed” feature captures speed when tracking/pacing other vehicles.
- Additional Options: Available auxiliary battery to power police equipment and full-size spare tire under a flat load surface. Vinyl rear seat and floor covering also available.
A full list of vehicle specifications and additional information about the Caprice PPV can be found at the recently updated website, www.chevroletcapriceppv.com.
– By: Omar Rana