On June 2nd, FoMoCo surprised (but something that was long expected) the auto industry by announcing that it will kill the Mercury brand. Ford now says that it will begin the wind-down of Mercury production in late September, completely shutting down the 71-year-old brand and dealer network by Dec. 31.
Mercury dealers submitted their final factory orders last month and expect to take deliveries of those vehicles in about 30 days. If a dealer wants more stock after that, they will have to contact other dealers.
FoMoCo has 1,712 Mercury dealerships in the United State but none of them were stand-alone stores. However, Ford is offering Mercury dealers a cash settlement after they get rid of their remaining inventory. The compensation ranges from low thousands to about $1 million depending on the size of the dealership.
FoMoCo now says that it will concentrate all of its resources and money to its Ford and Lincoln brand.
– By: Stephen Calogera
Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)