- Key Competitors: BMW Z4, Audi TT, Nissan 370Z Convertible, Mercedes-Benz SLK.
- Power: 3.4L 6-cylinder w/ direct fuel-injection – 320-hp (10-hp more than Boxster S).
- Transmission: 7-speed dual-clutch PDK transmission.
- Performance: 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds; top speed of 166 mph with the top down.
- Availability: February 2010.
- Pricing: $61,200.
Whether or not you understand the need for a model like the Porsche Boxster Spyder – it is here to stay. Weighing in at just 2,811 pounds, the 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder gets 10 more horses than its Boxster S sibling and can hit a top speed of 166 mph with the roof down (we doubt you’ll be hitting that speed on any major U.S. highway but it’s nice to have bragging rights).
With it’s unique rear shell with its ‘speedster humps’ aft of the passenger seats, the Spyder sure does have some unique style. The soft-top however, is not your standard press-a-button-pop-a-latch type. In fact, it’s a tad bit intricate and it took quite a few Porsche employees to play with all the latches and separate pieces (ok ok, so a few were just there to watch) to put up the top. Needless to say, you’ll probably need to have the car parked and set up the top with a buddy. Luckily, you won’t need any tools to make it happen.
The 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder will join the rest of the Boxster family in February 2010.
Follow the jump for live high-res photos.
2009 LA: 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder:
All Photos Copyright © 2009 Jack Rosenfeld ““ egmCarTech.
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder:
– By: Kap Shah