According to a recent poll by Ipsos Public Affairs on behalf of CarMax, Inc., buying a car is a hassle for women (no surprise to us here).
“When asked about their last car buying experience, a fourth of the women who responded felt a quick and effortless transaction was most missing, according to a new survey of more than 500 women,” CarMax said in a statement. “Fair, low pricing and having a trustworthy salesperson were also cited as the other top factors missing when buying a vehicle.”
“Now more than ever, women want a car buying experience that is straightforward and fair,” says Donna Wassel, Southwest regional vice president of CarMax. “Finding a car retailer with low, no haggle pricing that offers an easy transaction with integrity can help take away the hassle.”
You can check out the results after the jump along with top 10 tips for women car shoppers.
The following are the results of the recent poll that asked women: Thinking about the last time that you bought a car, which of the following was most missing?
|A quick, effortless transaction||25%|
|A fair trade-in value||19%|
|A trustworthy salesperson||15%|
|Low, fair pricing||13%|
|A reasonable finance rate||13%|
|I have never bought a car||13%|
The survey was conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs on behalf of CarMax. The national sample consisted of more than 500 U.S. women, aged 18 and older who were interviewed online August 17 through August 19, 2009.
CarMax offers the following tips for women car shoppers:
1. Go online to research vehicle types, makes, models, options, features, and prices. Visit websites such as carmax.com to search thousands of cars, see actual prices, view multiple photos, obtain vehicle history reports, read customer reviews and more.
2. Print out fact sheets or information about the vehicles you are interested in, and have them ready when you step onto the lot.
3. If you plan on selling your car, bring key paperwork items with you, including title and registration for your current vehicle, your driver”s license, and insurance card.
4. If you have been pre-approved for a car loan, bring the approval letter with you.
5. Find a car retailer and salesperson you like and trust by asking friends and family for referrals.
6. Try a retailer that offers no-haggle prices and a la carte pricing on each part of the car buying transaction ““ the vehicle price, the extended service plan, the trade-in, and the financing.
7. Think about selling your car separately from your car purchase. You can bring your car to CarMax for an appraisal ““ it”s fast, free and convenient.
8. Have confidence in your car shopping abilities. You have done your research and are prepared to make a smart car buying decision.
9. Do not hesitate to ask lots of questions””as many as you need so that you understand exactly what you are paying for.
10. Be prepared to walk away if you are unhappy with your car buying experience.
– By: Stephen Calogera