2009 Frankfurt: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept, the future of fuel-efficient supercars
– Key Competitors: Audi R8 eTron Concept, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG eDrive.
– Engine: 163-hp 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo-diesel and two electric-motors producing a total of 356-hp/590 lb-ft of torque.
– Performance: 0 to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds with a top speed of 155 mph.
– Fuel-economy: Estimated at 63 mpg. In EV mode, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept provides 31 miles of zero-emissions driving.
– Possible production: Hints at a future BMW supercar internally known as the Z10.
Here it is in live flesh – the new BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept. We’ve seen and heard a lot about the car before its debut today in Frankfurt, but we’ve noticed something really interesting while checking out the concepts in Frankfurt. It seems as if the Big 3 luxury German automakers are all focused on offering a fuel-efficient version of their high-end supercars. Audi is showing its R8 eTron Concept in Frankfurt, while Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that they are working on an electric-version of the SLS AMG known as the SLS AMG eDrive. Now, we’re not sure when all these ‘green’ supercars will arrive at a dealership near you, but we wouldn’t expect to see or hear anything concrete until 2013-2014.
As for the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics, we’ve been hearing reports that the model hints at a future BMW supercar internally known as the Z10. The Z10 is rumored to carry a 3.0L twin-turbo straight-6 that makes 450-hp and a maximum torque of 350 lb-ft. It will also incorporate some of the fuel-saving technologies showcased in the VisionEfficient Dynamics Concept.
While we wait to see anything official from all three luxury German automakers on the future of fuel-efficient, high-performance supercars, enjoy our high-res photos from Frankfurt.
Follow the jump for the high-res image gallery.
2009 Frankfurt: BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept:
BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Concept:
– By: Kap Shah