Chevrolet’s in the midst of launching their new, highly-touted, high-performance Camaro ZL1 for 2017. Just last week, we heard the new ZL1 would come with 650hp and 650 lb-ft of torque from an all-new, supercharged 6.2L LT4 V8, thanks to a leaked ordering guide on some Camaro enthusiast forums.
To clear the air of any uncertainty, Chevrolet themselves issued a statement to confirm the Camaro ZL1’s power rating, in addition to its MSRP price. That said, if you wanted to land a brand new 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 in your driveway, you’ll have to set aside $62,135 to start, for the six-speed manual-equipped coupe. Should you be too lazy to row your own, the ZL1 comes with an all-new 10-speed automatic.
If you want to forgo the fixed roof option for the Camaro ZL1 convertible, that will hike the starting price up to $69,135.
As a refresher, the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is essentially Dodge’s newest enemy to the Charger and Challenger SRT Hellcats, but unlike the latter, the former Camaro is also geared up to record some serious track times.
GM’s patented Magnetic Ride suspension is standard and thanks to the equipped Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar rubber on the wheels, a diet of 220lbs and an electronically controlled rear differential, the ZL1 can accomplish up to 1.02 g when blasting through the corners.
The other result, when equipped with the 10-speed automatic transmission, is a 0-60 time of just 3.5 seconds and a quarter-mile blast in 11.4, for the coupe.
Should the ZL1 not be in your price range exactly, Chevrolet also revealed the details for the 1LE-packaged Camaro, which are the closest things to the ZL1, without getting a ZL1. Opting for the 1LE package also allows for more flexibility with the drivetrain options as well.
Check out the quick breakdowns below.
- 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds
- Quarter-mile in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph
- 1.02 g max cornering
- 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters)
- 220-pound (100 kg) weight reduction
- 650-horsepower (485 kW) supercharged LT4 6.2L V-8 engine
*ZL1 performance numbers achieved with a coupe equipped with the available 10-speed automatic transmission and using original-equipment tires on a non-prepped surface.
- 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds with Camaro LT 1LE
- 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds with Camaro SS 1LE
- 0.97 g max cornering with Camaro LT 1LE
- 1.02 g max cornering with Camaro SS 1LE
- 60-0 mph braking in 112 feet (34 meters) with Camaro LT 1LE
- 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters) with Camaro SS 1LE
- 230-pound (104 kg) weight reduction (SS 1LE to previous model)
– By: Chris Chin
2016 Photos Copyright © Adam Ismail for egmCarTech