Scion teamed up with “Fresh Off the Boat“ writer, Eddie Huang to reveal a custom designed lowrider Scion iA sedan for this year’s SEMA show in Las Vegas.
Designed and built to reflect and embrace “L.A. Culture,” Huang decided to theme the Scion as such since lowrider culture is very popular in the Los Angeles car scene.
This of course justifies the need for thin-wire wheels and white-wall tires, deleted door handles, a gold-plated grille, and more.
The inside also gets a rework to reflect the theme of the lowrider with a chain-link steering wheel, suede and Alcantara trim bits for the interior, a Bamboo shifter, and a custome Pioneer audio system with a high-end receiver, three amplifiers and four subwoofers, all in custom enclosures.
Obviously, a lowrider isn’t without its air bag suspension and this specific Scion iA comes with a dual-stage system with independent wheel control, to move the car in anyway possible, even for three-wheeled motion. The rear axle and front double A-arm front suspension, as well as the chassis in general were beefed up to handle the extra moves.
Check out the press release after the jump and be prepared to see this concept at Las Vegas this year.
Scion Showcases Fashion and PassionSpecialty Cars to Shine at SEMAOctober 29, 20152015 SEMA – Scion Tuner Challenge – illest iM Specs
2015 SEMA – Scion Tuner Challenge – Crooks & Castles iM Specs
2015 SEMA – Skybound Entertainment/Robert Kirkman Outcast Scion Specs
2015 SEMA – Eddie Huang Scion iA Specs TORRANCE, Calif. (Oct. 29, 2015) – Creative visions of the Scion iM 5-door hatchback and Scion iA sedan are ready for Las Vegas lights. The cars were previewed in the downtown Los Angeles’ Arts District ahead of their debut at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas, Nov. 3-6.
For the 11th Annual Scion Tuner Challenge, remixed versions of the all-new sporty 2016 iM 5-door hatchback were created by prominent streetwear brands illest and Crooks & Castles. Each received a Scion iM and a $15,000 build budget to put a unique spin on the car.Eddie Huang, well-known for his book and TV adaptation, “Fresh Off The Boat,” is embracing L.A. culture with a modern take on the classic lowrider, outfitting a Scion iA with a chain-link steering wheel and custom swivel front seats and more. A dual-stage air bag system with independent wheel control allows for side to side, front to back and 3-wheel motion. Meanwhile, the exterior features metallic yellow paint with root beer accents. A mural of a “human panda,” which is how Huang refers to himself, is on the hood. Huang has also added wire wheels dipped in gold, along with a one-of-a-kind gold-plated front grille, truly capturing the essence of the era, but with a modern twist.Engine• 1.5L / DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder/ 1496ccWheels/Tires
• 15” x 7.5” G Boy 100-spoke wheels: Gold plated spokes with bronze powder coat lip
• 165R -15” Cocker Tire with 2” whitewall
• 18” x 8” 100-spoke wheels: Gold plated spokes with bronze powder coat lip
• 215/35 18” TOYO ExtensaHP TiresChassis/Suspension
• 2-Stage air bag system– Dual tank– Dual compressor
• Custom fabricated controller and valve system
• Custom fabricated mounting system
• Remote operated primary system
• Traditional tethered secondary system
• Chrome plated billet double A-Arm front suspension
• Chrome plated reinforced rear axle
• Reinforced chassis and mounting pointsAudio System
Pioneer Sound System
• DEH-80PRS Receiver in custom dash mount enclosure
• 2 x GM-D9601 Amplifiers (4,800 watts)
• GM-D1004 Amplifier (400 watts)
• 2 xTS-D1730C 6 3/4” component speaker system
– Behind yellow accent door trim panels
• 4 x TS-W261D4 Champion Series subwoofers
– Mounted in custom rear center console enclosure (paint to match)Interior
• CorbeauGTS II seats with tuffedand folded Alcantaracenter inserts on swivel base
• Custom ultra-suede covered dash, door panels
• Black ultra-suede headliner and pillars
• Custom fabricated rear seats with tuffedand folded Alcantaracenter inserts
• Rear center console subwoofer enclosure
• Ultra-suede floor mats
• Bamboo shifter
• Ultra-suede lined trunk
• Gold plated “Human Panda” rear plaqueExterior
• Custom “Reflections” yellow and gold pearl blend fading to a candy rootbeerrocker. Highlighted with an air brushed lace pattern bordered with gold leaf accented with hand painted pinstripes
• Hand etched gold accents
• Gold plated square tube front grille
• Headlamp and tail lamp color key
• Shaved door handles
• Side hinged electronically actuated trunk
• Chrome undercarriage exhaust tip with glasspackmufflerBuild shop
• Scott Kanemura/ KMA Industries
– By: Chris Chin