Volvo confirms to be importing more S60 and V60 Polestar models for 2016

When Volvo first introduced the S60 and V60 high-performance variants at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show, auto enthusiasts and fans of the Swedish automaker were bummed to hear that only a select number of examples were going to be made available in the US of A.

In fact, out of all 750 units made total, only 80 V60 Estates and 40 S60s were going to be shipped to our shores. But after lots of positive feedback and expressed demand, Volvo not only bought Polestar to incorporate the tuning firm as their own, they just announced to be importing 265 more S60 and V60 models for the 2016 model year. Fans, rejoice!

[slider id=186818]

The 2016 Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar models will move into the new model year largely unchanged, except for the addition of two new colors: Bright Silver and Ice White.

About 40% of those 265 units are expected to be sedans while the remaining 60% will be wagons.

Just to refresh the specs, the Polestar S60 and V60 models come with a potent Ford-sourced turbocharged 3.0L inline six with 345hp and a six-speed automatic with all-wheel drive, for a result of 0-60 time of just 4.7 seconds.

Check out the press brief below.



(ROCKLEIGH, NJ – JULY 16, 2015) Volvo Cars of North America will be importing only 265 S60 and V60 Polestar vehicles for model year 2016. Cars will start to arrive on U.S. shores this summer, with 60% of the allocation expected to be V60s and 40% to be S60s. Polestar engineers made over 70 modifications and upgrades to the original S60 and V60, resulting in an impressive performance vehicle that gives the driver optimal control in all roads and conditions.

The Polestar production range has been popular among performance enthusiasts, with the 2015 model year selling out quickly. Previously only available in Rebel Blue and Black Sapphire, model year 2016 will now add Ice White and Bright Silver to the color options. The appeal of a classic Volvo look with enhanced driving dynamics has made the Polestar editions truly unique on American roads.

Each vehicle will feature a 345 horsepower, 6 cylinder engine sprinting from 0-60 MPH in just 4.7 seconds (4.8 seconds for the V60) thanks to a new twin-scroll turbo, intercooler, full flow active exhaust and completely recalibrated engine management system. The transmission was modified to give the driver more control with faster gear shifts partnered with a Haldex all-wheel drive system. 

This power is coupled with a chassis that provides impressive road feedback and control. Custom shock absorbers were developed with long-time partner Öhlins producing a suspension usually reserved for supercars. Stopping power was optimized through a completely upgraded brake system, including 6-piston Brembo brake calipers and ventilated brake discs.

To achieve the perfect balance of performance and control in almost any scenario, each S60 and V60 Polestar vehicle features recalibrated exterior aerodynamics and bespoke Polestar rims with an airy, unique design that supports airflow around the brakes to increase breaking endurance. Custom features continue into the cabin with a Nubuck clad steering wheel and seats to increase grip.

“This is a performance vehicle that combines Polestar’s racing experience with Volvo Cars’ exceptional ability to build everyday cars” said Lex Kerssemakers, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of North America, “it is a rare combination that is hard for others to duplicate successfully.”

Each vehicle boasts a long list of standard equipment, such as Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), Adaptive Cruise Control, Harman Kardon Premium Sound and several features typically optional on competitor models.

Volvo Cars’ partnership with Polestar was further enhanced earlier this week when the Swedish automaker announced the 100% purchase of Polestar Performance AB. Further development of Polestar enhanced vehicles are anticipated as the company transitions all vehicles to the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) by the end of 2018.

Chris Chin

Chris Chin is the Editor-In-Chief of egmCarTech and is a regular contributor to Automobile Magazine.

admin has 4428 posts and counting.See all posts by admin