Toyota recently decided to give a special treatment to the Corolla and Camry to make them more…uhm…special…and guess what, they’re called the Special Editions. Mmm…how special…
So what special kind of goodies do these Corollas and Camrys offer? For starters, the list begins with a wide array of visual and aesthetic upgrades and more standard options, such as sport-like themes with 18-inch wheels on the Camry, a standard power moonroof, smoked-themed taillights, contrast stitching for the interior, and more.
Other bespoke features include the option of two special exterior colors, lots of special badges, Toyota’s Entune Audio Plus as standard with the premium package and sat-nav, and Toyota’s new Qi wireless charging interface.
The same sort of additional kit is offered on the Corolla, mainly to bring to attention the Corolla’s success to this day as it continues its 11th generation in production with over 40 million sold around the world to this day since 1966. And as much as we loathe the Corolla for being the soulless and accessible appliance for getting from A to B, it’s still a very big feat.
Check out the press release below.
Toyota to Create Turbulence in Windy City with Sporty Camry and Corolla Special Editions
- Camry and Corolla to Create Excitement With Special Edition Debuts
- Limited Production Models Equipped With Unique Sport-Themed Features
- Refreshed Avalon to be Unveiled at Chicago Auto ShowFebruary 05, 2015CHICAGO, (Feb. 5, 2015) – Winds of change will be blowing into the Chicago Auto Show. Toyota’s Camry mid-size sedan, the best-selling car in America for the past 13 years, and Corolla compact sedan, the world’s best-selling car of all time, will debut special edition models at next week’s Chicago Auto Show. The debuts will be part of a press conference that will also feature a refreshed Avalon sedan.
Camry Special Edition
When redesigning the Camry for 2015, Toyota went bumper to bumper and floor to roof, changing or re-engineering nearly 2,000 parts. Only the roof remained unchanged, and it capped off the boldest Camry ever. Now, only one year after this major redesign, America’s best-selling car will offer the 2016 Camry Special Edition for owner’s looking for an extra dose of both aggressiveness and technology. Based on the youthful Camry SE, the limited production Camry will add sporty interior and exterior features. In addition to features found on the Camry SE, standard equipment on the Special Edition will include:
- Unique 18-inch alloy wheels with machined face contrasted with gloss black painted accents
- Power tilt/slide moonroof
- Smoked tail lamp treatment
- High contrast blue stitching on the seats, shift boot, and dash
- Exclusive sport appearance seats trimmed with black SofTex bolsters and blue patterned inserts
- Sport meter cluster with blue details and white background
- Entune Audio Plus
- Available Entune Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite
- Smart Key with Pushbutton Start
- Qi Wireless Charging
- Two exterior colors: Blizzard Pearl and new Blue Streak Metallic
- Floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
The Camry Special Edition will be powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Like all Toyota vehicles, the Camry Special Edition will come standard with the Star Safety System.
Production of the Camry Special Edition will be limited to approximately 12,000 units and will run from August 2015 to January 2016.
Corolla Special Edition
The iconic Toyota Corolla is the world’s best-selling name plate of all-time with over 40 million sold since 1966. With its all-new 11th generation introduced in 2014, the current Corolla is the roomiest and most fuel-efficient ever.
Corolla will add more driving excitement with the launch of the 2016 Corolla Special Edition. Sporty styling features, inside and out, complement a spirited driving experience made possible with steering wheel paddle shifters, rear disc brakes and Sport Driving Mode along with an array of additional standard features.
Based on the sporty Corolla S Plus grade, the 2016 Corolla Special Edition will turn heads as it adds:
- Unique 17-inch alloy wheels with gloss black finish
- Black interior with red contrast stitching
- Red accented dash and door trim
- Smart Key System with pushbutton start
- Three colors: exclusive Absolutely Red, Black Sand Pearl and Super White
- Special Edition floor mats with logo and unique exterior badge
Toyota’s Entune™ Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite and power tilt/slide moonroof will be available as options.
The Corolla Special Edition will be produced between August and December 2015 and will be limited to 8,000 units.
In addition to the Camry and Corolla Special Editions, Toyota will unveil the refreshed 2016 Avalon premium mid-size sedan during a press conference in the Toyota display at Chicago’s McCormick Place on Thursday, Feb. 12 at 2:30 p.m. CST.