Report: The Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage risks no longer being sold in US

Numerous reports hint Aston Martin is facing some troubles in the near future as the small British luxury sports car maker could be forced to stop selling its DB9 and Vantage in the US due to tightening government safety standards.

In a nutshell, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is implementing new side-impact crash regulations and the current Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage are not capable of meeting these new requirements. The new standard is still in the process of being phased in from several years ago with exemptions being made for low-volume automakers. But the cut-off date for those automakers is just next month. Convertibles of any sort have to meet the new requirement by September of 2015.

Though because of the due dates on this new regulation, the DB9 and Vantage–two of Aston’s important models–could be forced to stop selling in the US. Let’s also not forget, the DB9 and Vantage are two of Aston’s oldest models currently still in production. Should the two core models be banned from being sold in the states, that could translate to a 25 percent loss in gross profits with the convertible versions adding to the total loss by 40 percent at the arrival of September 2015, equating to a net 65 percent loss for dealerships in the US. This would force many of the 35 dealers in the US to shutdown.

Aston Martin’s representative for US dealers is currently petitioning the government to grant Aston Martin an exception.

Source: Bloomberg

Chris Chin

Editor-In-Chief of egmCarTech Freelance Automotive Journalist / Editor / Photographer

admin has 4401 posts and counting.See all posts by admin


Sachs Clutch Kit New Saturn Vue 2002-2007 K70305-02 picture
Sachs Clutch Kit New Saturn Vue 2002-2007 K70305-02
OEM Clutch Slave Cylinder Assy For Hyundai Accent 2012-2015 / Veloster picture
OEM Clutch Slave Cylinder Assy For Hyundai Accent 2012-2015 / Veloster
Moose Standard Clutch Perch Chrome for Honda CRF450R 2009-2013 picture
Moose Standard Clutch Perch Chrome for Honda CRF450R 2009-2013
Barnett Clutch Cable +6 Platinum Harley-Davidson FXDXT 2002-2004 picture
Barnett Clutch Cable +6 Platinum Harley-Davidson FXDXT 2002-2004
Short Brake Clutch Levers for Honda 1991-2007 CBR600 F2 F3 F4 F4I (H-626/F-18) picture
Short Brake Clutch Levers for Honda 1991-2007 CBR600 F2 F3 F4 F4I (H-626/F-18)