The 2014 Hyundai Azera receives a price reduction for the new year
Hyundai announced some changes to the 2014 model year Azera, which will receive a price modification docking $1,250 off of the original MSRP from 2013. As a result, the 2014 Hyundai Azera starts at an even $31,000, while the Limited trim level starts at $34,750.
With the base model, it comes decently equipped with a six-inch color infotainment screen and standard rear-view camera. Also included is Hyundai’s blind-spot warning system. The Limited adds multi-zone automatic climate control, second row vents, an air-cooled glove box and heated front seats.
Mechanically and visually, the 2014 Hyundai Azera remains unchanged, still sporting the brand’s direct-injected Lambda II 3.3L V6 good for 293hp and 188 lb-ft of torque. Providing the power to the front wheels is a six-speed automatic.
For full details, check out the press release after the jump.
2014 AZERA STARTING PRICE LOWERED BY $1,250 WHILE RETAINING COMPELLING DESIGN, PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY APPEAL
Reconfigured Content and Refinement Increase Appeal to Wider Range of Buyers
Sales Up 34 Percent Calendar Year-To-Date
COSTA MESA, Calif., Dec. 19, 2013 – Hyundai has lowered the starting price on the 2014 Azera premium sedan to $31,000, a reduction of $1,250, while offering significant new features and refinements to this award-winning model, which has seen a sales leap of 34 percent this year.
For 2014, Azera’s generous content level has been reconfigured to provide even more choice and increase appeal for its full range of customers. The new entry-level Azera comes equipped with a new 6-inch color LCD audio display, rearview backup camera, driver blind-spot mirror, and three years of Hyundai’s Assurance Connected Care services. A new Limited trim now starts at $34,750, and receives a new 8-inch navigation system and new electroluminescent gauge cluster with color LCD trip computer and power-folding side mirrors, reflecting Limited model buyer preferences in the segment.
2014 Azera Models Engine MSRP Azera 3.3L GDI V6 $31,000 Azera Limited 3.3L GDI V6 $34,750
2014 Azera Highlights
- Starting price lowered to $31,000, a $1,250 reduction from 2013
- Refined steering feel and precision
- Standard 6-inch color LCD audio display with rearview camera
- Standard driver blind-spot mirror
- New electroluminescent gauge cluster with color LCD trip computer
- New 8-inch navigation system standard on Limited
- Power-folding side mirrors standard on Limited
- Hyundai Assurance Connected Care telematics services standard for three years
Azera also leverages its Blue Link telematics platform by adding Assurance Connected Care, Hyundai’s industry-leading telematics services program. These services are standard on 2014 Azera sedans for three full years. This innovative ownership program provides Hyundai owners with an extra measure of proactive safety and car care services designed to increase peace of mind.
The 2014 Azera represents an advanced approach to the traditional premium sedan segment by delivering a powerful yet efficient powertrain, emotional design and luxury features combined with Hyundai’s consistent strong value proposition. Azera continues to offer customers the highest levels of luxury, performance, and efficiency, all brought together in an innovative design.
AZERA MEETS THE MECHANICS OF FLIGHT
Azera’s Fluidic Sculpture design takes inspiration from the mechanics of flight. The exterior of the Azera is long, light and low. The unique, undulating beltline allows for a long, sleek roofline accented by the third window and wraparound LED taillights. A monoform side profile includes flowing lines in the rear quarter panel. The face is masculine with a powerful, winged chrome grille and available HID headlamps that integrate precise details. The stance is completed by large diameter multi-spoke alloy wheels (standard 18-inch and available 19-inch).
The elegant look continues inside where Hyundai has created an upscale ambiance, thanks to a flow-through center fascia and instrument panel that creates a dual-cockpit front passenger space. These flowing surfaces complement the exterior design and wrap around the driver and passengers.
ACCOMMODATING INTERIOR WITH STANDARD LEATHER
Azera offers luxurious appointments that rival the finest premium competitor brands. It offers a roomy cabin with more than 45 inches of legroom and 40 inches of headroom for front-seat passengers.
Hyundai focuses heavily on other interior details, such as an optional panoramic sunroof, which allows more natural light into the cabin and 3D Carbon interior accents. Other available luxury equipment includes a power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades. The side shades, not found on any other car in the Azera’s segment, can be conveniently tucked away when not in use.
Given the functionality and design of the Azera, seat quality and comfort is of extreme importance to the feel of the car. Azera offers first-class seating for all passengers, offering leather seating as standard equipment. A 10-way power driver and eight-way front passenger seat are also included. The driver’s seat has an optional cushion extension and an integrated memory system for the seat, steering wheel column and side mirrors, while the Azera’s climate and seat temperature controls keep occupants in total comfort. Also for 2014, all models receive new driver blind-spot mirrors, while Limited models add a new electroluminescent gauge cluster with color LCD trip computer, and power-folding side mirrors.
- Ventilated front seats (Limited) – fans in the front seat back and bottom cushions circulate air through the perforated leather seats
- Standard heated front and optional heated rear seats
- Dual automatic temperature control standard
- Second row air vents standard
- Cooled glove box standard
BEST-IN-CLASS SPECIFIC OUTPUT
With the introduction of direct injection, Hyundai didn’t have to increase the displacement of the V6 engine in the pursuit of more power. The sophisticated Lambda II 3.3-liter direct-injected V6 engine is the heart of the Azera. It produces best-in-class specific output of 88.8 horsepower per liter, while also boasting the smallest displacement in its class. The engine’s high-pressure (over 2,200 psi) direct injection system increases power and torque, while simultaneously reducing fuel consumption and emissions. The system eliminates the need for larger displacement, and increases the compression ratio from 10.4 to 11.5 in the pursuit of greater thermal efficiency and power output. The new engine also features all-aluminum construction, four valves per cylinder, piston cooling jets, roller timing chain, CrN Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating on the top ring chamfer and Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT). A three-stage Variable Intake System (VIS) further broadens the engines power curve to improve the vehicle’s off-the-line acceleration and passing performance. EPA-estimate fuel economy for the Azera is 19 mpg city / 29 mpg highway / 23 mpg combined.
2014 Maxima 2014 Avalon 2014 LaCrosse 2014 Taurus 2014
2014 Acura TL Engine 3.3L V6 3.5L V6 3.5L V6 3.6L V6 3.5L V6 3.5L V6 3.5L V6 HP 293 @ 6400 290 @ 6400 268 @ 6200 304 @ 6800 288 @ 6500 268 @ 6200 280 @ 6200 Specific Output (HP/liter) 88.8 82.9 76.6 84.4 82.3 76.6 80.0 Torque 255 @ 5200 261 @ 4400 248 @ 4700 264 @ 5300 254 @ 4000 248 @ 4700 254 @ 5000 EPA-estimated Fuel Economy (City/Highway/Combined) 19 /29 /23 19 / 26 / 22 21 / 31 / 24 18 / 28 / 21 19 / 29 / 23 21 / 31 / 24 20 / 29 / 23
The engine is mated to Hyundai’s in-house six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual control. This system offers smooth shifts and gear ratios that ideally suit engine torque delivery characteristics. Azera’s powertrain also has an Active Eco mode, which modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy.
The Azera rides on a 112.0-inch wheelbase, with an overall length of 193.3 inches and width of 73.2 inches. These exterior dimensions optimally size Azera between the Sonata and Genesis models.
BEST-IN-CLASS FRONT HEAD AND LEG ROOM
Azera has best-in-class front head and leg room.
2014 Maxima 2014
2014 LaCrosse 2014 Taurus Front
40.4 38.5 37.6 38.0 39.0 Front
45.5 43.8 42.1 41.7 41.9
WORLD-CLASS WEIGHT EFFICIENCY
World-class weight efficiency is a program target for all Hyundai models. This strategy delivers outstanding fuel economy and performance simultaneously. At just 3,605 pounds, Azera is more than 300 pounds lighter than the Buick LaCrosse (3,990 pounds) and more than 400 pounds lighter than the Ford Taurus V6 (4,054 pounds). This priority on weight saving allows the Azera to deliver a great combination of agility, performance and fuel efficiency.
ENHANCED STEERING AND SUSPENSION
For 2014, Azera steering is enhanced for better dynamic feel and precision. Azera is fitted with a MacPherson strut front suspension, coil springs and a 24mm front stabilizer bar. The multi-link independent rear suspension enables precise geometry for a premium ride while enhancing agility. The precision of the advanced front- and rear-suspension is maximized through Sachs Amplitude Selective Dampers (ASD), allowing tuning flexibility at smaller damper displacements for optimal small bump comfort.
The ASD suspension provides:
- Improved ride comfort with more body/wheel control
- Increased driving comfort without compromised handling
- Optimized road surface contact
Standard are 245/45R18 tires on 18-inch Hyper Silver alloy wheels. There is an optional 19-inch Hyper-silver alloy wheel fitted with 245/40R19 tire.
ADVANCED STANDARD SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES
Azera includes a Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system, which optimally manages ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and the Motor-Driven electric Power Steering (MDPS).
VSM works to control two effects: first is the unwanted minor pull in one direction when the car accelerates or brakes on a split-mu surface (slippery on one side, dry pavement on the other). VSM detects this natural pull and applies steering input in the required direction to counter the pull by automatically providing counter-steering force. The second is the counter-weight effect that occurs during a sudden lane change or cornering maneuver: VSM counter steers in the opposite direction to help stop the back of the car from stepping out of line.
Azera features nine airbags including dual front, front and rear seat-mounted side-impact, front and rear side curtain airbags and a driver’s knee airbag.
The Azera also features a state-of-the-art braking package. The package includes four-wheel disc brakes (12.6 inch front and 11.2 inch rear) and an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) including Brake Assist, which provides maximum braking force when a panic stop is detected, and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), to automatically adjust the braking force to front and rear axles based on the vehicle’s load conditions.
Additionally, Azera offers impressive passive safety features including a Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system for children’s seats and three-point seatbelts for all positions.
ADVANCED CONNECTIVITY FUNCTION
- Azera comes standard with three months of SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Real-time SiriusXM NavTraffic, NAV Weather®, Sports Ticker and Stock Ticker
- Azera offers the clarity of digital HD Radio Technology
- Standard Bluetooth hands-free phone system and auxiliary iPod/USB inputs
An eight-inch touch-screen navigation system with integrated backup camera is also available on Azera. This easy-to-use unit can be controlled via eight-inch WVGA touchscreen or voice-activation by a headliner-mounted microphone. The system features 8GB of flash memory and comes matched with a sound system that plays compact discs, accesses digital music files via Bluetooth streaming audio or allows driver and passengers to access their personal listening devices through the iPod/USB/auxiliary inputs. Bluetooth audio wirelessly streams music from select mobile phones to the head unit. In addition, Bluetooth-enabled phones allow drivers to look up a local restaurant and call for reservations before plotting the route.
Azera is available with two audio systems. Standard is an AM/FM/SiriusXM/CD/MP3 audio system with six-speakers and iPod®/USB/auxiliary input jacks with a standard six-inch color LCD touchscreen and rearview camera. This new LCD screen will also display album cover art from appropriate media sources. An Infinity 550-watt, Logic-7 Surround Sound premium audio system with 14 speakers, including an eight-inch subwoofer and external amplifier, is standard on the Limited model. A SiriusXM Satellite Radio interface is also integrated into the head unit and features channel logos and SiriusXM Data services, such as NavWeather®, Stock Ticker and Sports Ticker. Azera also offers HD Radio™ technology.
A Bluetooth hands-free phone system with voice recognition, address-book download and audio streaming comes as a standard feature.
HYUNDAI ASSURANCE CONNECTED CARE POWERED BY BLUE LINK®
Hyundai’s telematics services program, Assurance Connected Care, is standard for three years on the 2014 Azera. This innovative ownership program provides Hyundai owners with proactive safety and car care services via the Hyundai Blue Link telematics system. These services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Diagnostic Trouble Code Notification, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and in-vehicle Car Care maintenance scheduling.
Hyundai also recently introduced an all-new mobile application for the Blue Link telematics platform. This mobile app allows subscribers to remotely access various optional Blue Link features and services through compatible mobile devices. Completely redesigned, the app has been significantly enhanced from the previous version and boasts a new user experience, faster navigation and innovative new features. Google Android and Apple iOS users can download the app today from Google Play or Apple iTunes, respectively. A BlackBerry version is also available.
Blue Link is an innovative telematics solution that brings seamless connectivity for safety, service and infotainment capabilities and is offered in three packages: Assurance, Essentials and Guidance.
BLUE LINK® PACKAGES
Blue Link Assurance package:
- Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Assistance – Provides assistance when an accident occurs and an airbag is deployed. In this event, an ACN signal, containing customer and location information, will automatically be transmitted to the response center. Upon receipt of the signal, a response specialist will attempt to establish voice communications with the vehicle occupants and forward any pertinent information to emergency services.
- SOS Emergency Assistance – Customers request emergency assistance by pressing the dedicated SOS button in the vehicle. This action transmits vehicle information and location to specially-trained response specialists, who assist in coordinating the dispatch of appropriate emergency assistance to the customer. The response specialist will remain on the line with the customer until advised assistance has arrived.
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance – Enables customers to utilize their Hyundai Assurance 24/7 Roadside Assistance via a single in-vehicle button-press. With Blue Link, vehicle information (including location) is automatically transmitted to a response center, enabling the specialist to dispatch assistance more quickly and efficiently for vehicle assistance and retrieval.
- Maintenance Alert – Notifies customers in the vehicle as well as via website, email or SMS message that an upcoming service is due leading up to the service date.
- Automated Diagnostic Trouble Code Notification – Provides explanation and repair assistance using vehicle data and off-board diagnosis capabilities to better inform the customer of vehicle diagnostic alerts. A combination of in-vehicle display alerts and guided voice messages provides customers with additional instructions (information is also sent to the customer’s preferred dealer to assist with the diagnostic process).
- Recall Advisor – Provides all pertinent recall information should a recall be initiated.
- Monthly Vehicle Health Report and Web Vehicle Diagnostics – Provides a report of vehicle diagnostics and other important information in a monthly email report and web page update, starting 30 days after registering with the Blue Link service.
- Service Link – Connects to a Blue Link agent to schedule a service appointment. For non-maintenance appointments, a recording of the request will be sent to the preferred dealer in advance of the service appointment to help them prepare for the service visit.
Blue Link Essentials package:
- Remote Door Lock/Unlock – Enables locking or unlocking vehicle doors via smartphone application, owner’s website, or a toll-free number.
- Remote Horn and Lights – Enables activating the horn and/or lights via smartphone application, owner’s website, or a toll-free number.
- Remote Vehicle Start – Enables customers to start the vehicle via smartphone application, owner’s website, or a toll-free number for vehicles equipped with push-button start and either automatic or dual-clutch transmissions.
- Car Finder – (Exclusively available via mobile app). Allows you to find your vehicle on a map if you are within a 1-mile radius of your vehicle and to save your vehicle’s location for future reference.
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery – In the event a customer’s vehicle is reported stolen (and a stolen vehicle report has been filed with the appropriate police department), the response center can provide assistance to the police in an attempt to recover the vehicle.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown – Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to gradually reduce the engine power of the vehicle, thus slowing it down to safe levels. A warning will be transmitted to the driver prior to the slowdown procedure.
- Vehicle Immobilization – Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to send a signal to the vehicle which immobilizes the engine management system, thus preventing startup. This capability is only valid when the ignition is off, but the command can be saved by the Engine Control Unit for later immobilization if the vehicle is on or in motion at the time of signal transmission.
- Alarm Notification – Notifies customers when and where the vehicle alert is activated via a text message, email or an automated phone call.
- Panic Notification – Notifies customers when the panic button on their vehicle key fob has been activated, signifying when a family member or other vehicle occupant may be in danger. Notifications are configured online and transmitted via email or phone call.
- Valet Alert – Enables alert via email, text message or automated phone message when the customer’s vehicle moves beyond a prescribed distance threshold after leaving the vehicle with the valet.
- Geo-Fence – Enables monitoring vehicle movement in and out of pre-defined regions configured on the owner’s website. When the vehicle enters or leaves a designated region, the customer is notified by email, text message or automated phone message.
- Speed Alert – Notifies the customer via email, text message or automated phone message when their vehicle exceeds the specified speed threshold established on the owner’s website. This provides high value for parents of teen drivers and small fleet customers.
- Curfew Alert – Notifies owners if the vehicle is being used outside a pre-determined time interval. Alerts are configured online and sent via email, text message and/or automated phone message.
Blue Link Guidance package:
- TBT (Turn-by-turn) Navigation Service – Provides turn-by-turn navigation guidance for downloaded Points of Interest. Both visual and audio guidance is provided for vehicles without factory navigation.
- POI Search by advanced voice recognition system and by Web and download – Enables Point-of-Interest in-vehicle searches using an automated voice system. Results can be downloaded to the vehicle navigation system. Live operators can provide additional support, if needed. POI search by Web and mobile app enables sending destinations to vehicle for automatic download after starting the vehicle.
- Daily Route Guidance with Traffic Condition – Enables customers to pre-define several routes to a common destination and receive regularly-scheduled traffic alerts for traffic delays along those routes. Results include flow and incident data, along with “Fastest Route” recommendation if applicable.
- Traffic – Provides traffic information surrounding the customer’s vehicle and in the nearby area, based on preferences established using the owner’s website.
- Gas Station Locations and Gas Prices – Locates the nearest gas stations by price and provides brand and regular unleaded fuel price. Results are played back via automated voice and can be downloaded to the vehicle’s navigation system.
- Eco-Coach – Monitors the customer’s driving performance habits (MPG and CO2 emissions) on a continual and historical basis. Results and environmentally responsible driving recommendations are provided on the owner’s website.
- Restaurant Ratings – Provides restaurant ratings for local restaurants with address download for turn-by-turn navigation or onboard navigation.
- Weather – Provides weather forecasts for the immediate area or for customer-defined locations within the owner’s website.
More details regarding Hyundai Blue Link are available at www.HyundaiBlueLink.com.
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 820 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully-transferable new vehicle limited warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty and five years of complimentary Roadside Assistance. Hyundai Assurance includes Assurance Connected Care that provides owners of Hyundai models equipped with the Hyundai Blue Link telematics system with proactive safety and car care services complimentary for three years. These services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostic Alert, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and in-vehicle service scheduling.