While we already knew that General Motors would be having Cadillac stuff the all-new twin-turbocharged LF3 V6 that debuted in the CTS into the bay of the current XTS flagship, America’s top-brass officially announced the 2014 XTS’s reception of the insanely powerful V6. Yup, that’s the same 3.6L twin-turbocharged V6 that will debuted on the 2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport.
Though the XTS’s version has been detuned slightly to 410hp and 369 lb-ft of torque, versus the CTS V-Sport’s 420hp and 430 lb-ft of torque. The 2014 XTS’s base naturally aspirated 3.6L V6 still carries over, good for 304hp and 264 lb-ft of torque. Both are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shift controls.
Otherwise the Cadillac XTS mainly carries over into the new 2014 model year with very little change. But if you were curious to know if a particular XTS is donning GM’s new beastly LF3 V6, all you have to do is look at the front grille for a different design, or just peer at the trunk badge on the rear, which should denote the use of the 3.6L Turbo.
For full details, check out the press release after the jump.
Cadillac XTS – 2014
New for 2014
– Cadillac Twin-Turbo V-6 with 410 hp (306 kW) – SAE certified
– Automatic Parking Assist (FWD models)
– Electric power steering (FWD models)
– Intellibeam headlamps
– Rear-seat entertainment system
– Front passenger seat memory feature
– Revised rear-seat armrest with wood trim, radio controls and sunshade control (if equipped)
– Opaque sunroof sunshade
2014 CADILLAC XTS OFFERS TWIN-TURBO V-6, AUTOMATIC PARKING ASSIST
The Cadillac XTS is one of the most technologically advanced production cars in the brand’s history, delivering the space, elegance and dramatic presence that are brand signatures in a unique package tuned for a new generation of luxury customers.
Cadillac’s all-new, power-dense Twin-Turbo V-6 engine highlights new features for 2014, along with technologies including available Automatic Parking Assist and Intellibeam, as well as electric power steering on all front-wheel-drive models. Additional new and revised features include:
– An available rear-seat entertainment system with twin DVD screens that fold out of the backs of the front seats
– Available front passenger seat memory feature
– Revised rear-seat armrest with wood trim, radio controls and sunshade control (if equipped)
– Opaque sunroof sunshade.
XTS is offered in a well-equipped standard model and three optional collections: Luxury, Premium and Platinum. The XTS Platinum represents the highest level of technology and luxury, including a unique front appearance, wheels and interior colors, materials and trim.
Highlights for all collections include:
– Standard direct-injected 3.6L V-6 with lightweight features, including integrated cylinder heads/exhaust manifolds
– Available advanced all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential
– Magnetic Ride Control, rear air springs, HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo front brakes – all standard
– Standard 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels
– Capless fuel tank filler for easier, cleaner refueling
– Folding rear-seat head restraints that enhance rear visibility
– Safety Alert Seat that pulses to alert the driver
– Intervening braking system that lessens or avoids potential collisions
– Short- and long-range radar systems that support adaptive cruise control, front/rear automatic brakes and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
XTS is the only luxury sedan with standard Magnetic Ride Control – the world’s fastest-reacting suspension – while the advanced all-wheel-drive system uses Haldex technology with an electronic limited-slip differential to transfer power front-to-back, and side-to-side, along the rear axle. It is available on all three collections.
The XTS is also the most spacious Cadillac sedan, tailored to provide roominess in a more efficiently sized package. It offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and is comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 40 inches (1,016 mm) of rear legroom. That’s about four more inches than the BMW 5 Series, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and about two more inches than the Audi A6.
And when it comes to trunk space, the XTS is in a league of its own, with 18 cubic feet (509 L), exceeding both midsize and full-size competitors – more than Audi A6 and A8L, BMW 5 and 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz E- and S-Class. For XTS customers, the cargo advantage means room for five or more suitcases.
XTS design and exterior features
XTS’s hardware and spatial dimensions are the foundational layers that support exceptional surface detail. Multidimensional elements, including the grille, headlamps and accent lighting, coalesce to give the XTS a presence and attention to detail unlike any Cadillac that has come before it.
The XTS’s surface details also convey a more nuanced design philosophy, bringing elegance with refined, graceful forms and surfaces working harmoniously with established Cadillac linear forms. Additional features include:
– Unique “Twin-Turbo” grille and deck lid identification on models equipped with the 3.6L twin-turbo engine
– Premium chrome/satin-chrome grille finish on Platinum Collection
– Intellibeam automatic headlamp control is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
– Illuminating door handles are standard on all Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
– Capless fuel-filling system is standard on all models
– High-intensity discharge headlamps with Twilight Sentinel are standard on all models
– Adaptive Forward Lighting is standard on Premium and Platinum collections
– LED center high-mounted rear stop lamp is standard on all models
– Heated outside mirrors with auto-dimming feature, turn-signal indicators and puddle lamps are standard on all models
– Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum collections
– Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are standard on Luxury and Premium Collections
– Twenty-inch aluminum wheels with polished finish and chrome inserts are standard on the Platinum Collection
– Eight exterior color choices: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Graphite Metallic, Black Diamond Tricoat, Silver Coast Metallic and Sapphire Blue Metallic.
XTS interior features
Like the exterior, the XTS’s cabin extolls a multidimensional philosophy in a bold, elegant design that is also very efficient in the ways it encompasses passengers and cargo. It represents Cadillac’s new expression of luxury also in its use of authentic materials and unprecedented connectivity. Platinum Collection models feature a fully wrapped leather interior with microfiber sueded headliner, as well as premium wood trim on the steering wheel, console, center stack, instrument panel and door panels.
Seating trim is offered with Soleil Keisel surfaces or premium Opus full leather – both with perforated detailing. Heated and ventilated seats are also offered. Additional interior features include:
– Adaptive remote start is standard on all models
– Audio system with Bose premium eight-speaker sound is standard on the base model and Luxury Collection
– Bose Studio Surround Sound with 14-speaker system with energy-efficient amplifier is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections
– Rear-seat entertainment system is available on Premium and Platinum Collections
– SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with free trial period) and HD radio are standard on all models
– Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on the base model and Luxury Collection
– Leather-wrapped IP and door trim top pad, along with the center console, is standard on the Platinum Collection
– Color, reconfigurable 12.3-inch gauge cluster with driver information center is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections
– Head-Up Display with color readouts is standard on the Premium and Platinum Collections
– Illuminated entry and courtesy lighting is standard on all models
– Accent lighting, including LED spotlights with light pipes, is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
– Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces with mini-perforated inserts are standard on the Standard model, Luxury and Premium Collections
– Opus full-leather seats with mini-perforated inserts are standard on the Platinum Collection
– Heated driver/front passenger and outboard rear passenger seats and vented driver/front passenger seats are standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
– Leather-accented steering wheel with wood accents and tap up/tap down transmission controls is standard
– Heated steering wheel is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
– Power rear window shade and manual rear side window shades are available on the Premium Collection and standard on the Platinum Collection
– Real wood trim is incorporated on all models
– Six interior color/trim combinations: Jet Black, Shale with Cocoa accents, Medium Titanium with Jet Black accents, Caramel with Jet Black accents, Jet Black with Light Wheat accents and Very Light Platinum with Dark Urban and Cocoa accents.
Cadillac CUE is standard on all models. Its heart is the standard eight-inch (203 mm) screen in the center stack, the faceplate below the screen and the steering wheel controls. Features include capacitive-touch control with proximity sensing, haptic feedback, gesture recognition and natural voice recognition.
A 12.3-inch (312 mm) reconfigurable instrument cluster is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections. It features vibrant graphic displays showcased among four driver-selectable themes, ranging from minimal to extensive information. And while it is the prominent element in the XTS’s technological character, CUE is part of a more comprehensive and layered approach to the car’s design, capabilities and performance.
The new Cadillac Twin-Turbo 3.6L V-6 is available in the XTS, delivering SAE-certified 410 horsepower (306 kW) and 369 lb.-ft. of torque (500 Nm), making it one of the most power-dense six-cylinder engines in the segment. A pair of smaller turbochargers and an efficient charge air cooler help provide more immediate power delivery, while peak torque is sustained over a broad range – 1,900 to 5,600 rpm – for a confident feeling of power in almost all driving conditions, such as accelerating or overtaking traffic on the highway.
The twin-turbo engine is a comprehensive upgrade on the 60-degree, 3.6L DOHC V-6 that is offered as the standard engine in the XTS. However, almost every component is unique. New features include:
– All-new cylinder block casting
– Strengthened connecting rods
– Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
– 10.2:1 compression ratio
– Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
– Two turbochargers produce more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
– Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
– All-new direct injection fuel system
– Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to exceptional quietness and smoothness.
The cylinder heads are also unique to the Cadillac Twin-Turbo. They feature a high-tumble intake port design that enhances the motion of the air charge for a more-efficient burn when it is mixed with the direct-injected fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber.
The XTS’s standard 3.6L V-6 is rated at 304 horsepower (224 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (355 Nm). Lightweight features help reduce overall weight for greater efficiency and a more favorable front-to-rear weight balance. Examples include a composite intake manifold that saves approximately 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg) over the weight of a comparable aluminum intake and an integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design that saves approximately 13 pounds (6 kg) per engine.
The engines are matched with six-speed automatic transmissions with tap-shift control.
XTS driving experience
A layered approach to the driving experience relies on new and established technologies – all rooted in a stiff structure. The body is infused with strategically placed, ultra-high-strength steel for strength and crash protection, and serves as the foundation for the advanced chassis system.
A smart all-wheel-drive system with Haldex technology – with an electronic limited-slip differential that splits torque between the rear wheels – complements an advanced HiPer Strut front suspension and standard Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping to give the XTS sure-footed, confident and comfortable ride and handling traits. A linked H-arm design with “air springs” comprises the rear suspension.
HiPer Strut is based on the MacPherson strut front suspension design and features dual-path top mountings that separate the transfer of spring and damper loads to the body structure. It improves ride-and-handling characteristics in four significant ways:
– Provides more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control
– Improves impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces
– Reduces torque steer
– Improves vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel imbalance.
Magnetic Ride Control delivers precise body motion control – “reading” the road every millisecond and changing damping in just five milliseconds. It replaces conventional mechanical-valve shocks with electronically controlled shocks filled with a magneto-rheological fluid containing minute iron particles. Under the presence of magnetic charge, the iron particles align to provide damping resistance almost instantly.
New for 2014, a premium electric, variable-assist power steering gear is employed with all front-wheel-drive models. It is designed to deliver excellent response and on-center characteristics, while enhancing efficiency by drawing energy only when the wheels are turned.
StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on all models, along with variable-effort steering and four-wheel disc brakes (front Brembo brakes) with four-channel antilock brakes – all features that add important layers of control to the driving experience. Like Magnetic Ride Control, XTS borrows the Brembo braking technology from Cadillac’s V-Series of high-performance models.
The XTS’s technology fundamentally supports a range of advanced safety features, based on a “control and alert” strategy that extends the vision around the vehicle. It helps drivers identify potential crash situations and even intervenes when a crash threat appears more imminent, employing visual, audible and tactile (vibration) alerts, depending on the feature.
The alerts are designed to identify obstacles with sufficient warning to give the driver time to react and make changes – including the Safety Alert Seat feature, which vibrates either the left or right side of the driver’s seat cushion, depending on the location of the impending concern. The intervening features, including Automatic Collision Preparation and front and rear automatic brakes, take over if the threat appears more immediate or the driver does not react to previous alerts.
The Driver Awareness Packageis standard on the Premium and Platinum Collections and available on the Luxury Collection. It includes:
– Lane Departure Warning
– Forward Collision Alert
– Safety Alert Seat
– Side Blind Zone Alert
– Rear Cross Traffic Alert
– Reflected LED display.
The new Intellibeam feature automatically deploys high-beam headlamps when needed and instantly turns them down when oncoming traffic is detected.
The Driver Assist Package is standard on the Platinum and available on Premium Collections. It includes:
– The Driver Awareness Package
– Adaptive Cruise Control
– Front Automatic Brake
– Rear Automatic Brake
– Automatic Collision Preparation.
Additional safety features include dual-stage frontal air bags, knee air bags, side-impact air bags, head-curtain air bags and seat side-impact air bags for outboard rear passengers. Also, a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections. Head-up display and full-speed adaptive cruise control are available.
The XTS also offers Automatic Parking Assist, which enables the car to parks itself in parallel spaces. It uses ultrasonic sensors to locate a suitable space and maneuver the car into the space. The driver is required to only engage reverse and apply the accelerator and brake pedals.
XTS and OnStar
One year of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on XTS. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and advanced technology. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.
– By: Chris Chin