FoMoCo announced today that its new Transit full-size van, that will go on sale next year, will get a 3.2 liter Power Stroke 5-cylinder diesel. The new diesel is Ford’s second in North America and is offered in the global Ford Ranger pickups in world markets.
“Commercial van drivers spend most of their working hours behind the wheel. We know they want a fuel-efficient diesel engine with smooth, responsive performance and low operating costs,” said Joe Bakaj, Ford vice president of Powertrain Engineering. “The 3.2-liter Power Stroke engine has been developed and proven globally to deliver a world-class combination of power, fuel economy and refinement.”
While technical specs have not yet been certified, in Europe, the engine produces 197 horsepower and 347 lb-ft of torque.
- Quick-start glow plugs that enable smooth and fast startups at temperatures down to -10 degrees F
- Durable, rigid sand-cast gray iron cylinder block
- Aluminum cylinder head with double overhead cams and four valves per cylinder
- Advanced common rail piezoelectric fuel injectors that deliver multiple injections per stroke to improve performance and reduce NVH; maximum fuel pressure is 26,100 psi
- Variable nozzle turbocharger with electronic actuation; maximum impellor speed of 197,800 rpm
- First application of selective catalytic reduction for reduced nitrogen oxide emissions in a Ford van
- Integrated diesel oxidation catalyst and diesel particulate filter to save space
- Expected to be B20 biodiesel compatible
– By: Omar Rana