Mazda is saying farewell to the RX-8 with a new special-edition model of its four-door, four-seat rotary engine sports car. Known as the Mazda RX-8 Spirit R, the special-edition model will go on sale from November 24, 2011 at all Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships throughout Japan.
Production of the Mazda RX-8 will end in June 2012 and Spirit R will be the final special edition model. Mazda expects to sell 1,000 units of the Mazda RX-8 Spirit R.
Click here for more news on the Mazda RX-8.
“Mazda’s iconic rotary engine recorded its famous victory in the Le Mans 24-Hour endurance race 20 years ago,” said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda’s Representative Director, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO. “Throughout 2011, we have been celebrating the 20th anniversary of that victory by demonstrating the winning 787B racecar at Le Mans’ Circuit de La Sarthe and various other events around the world. At each one, the screaming rotary engine and the sight of the 787B have enthralled everyone from young children to race fans who witnessed its victory in 1991. These events have been a powerful reminder of the widespread passion for the rotary engine. Although RX-8 production is ending, the rotary engine will always represent the spirit of Mazda and Mazda remains committed to its ongoing development.”
The Mazda RX-8 Spirit R is based on the RX-8 Type RS (with 6-speed manual transmission) and Type E (with 6-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission). The name comes from the final limited edition Mazda RX-7.
Check out the complete specs of the Mazda RX-8 Spirit R after the jump.
Main features of the limited Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R series
RX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and RX-8 Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission)
For both manual and automatic transmission models
- Exclusive SPIRIT R badge
- Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
- Front and rear brake calipers (red)
- Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
- Curtain and front side SRS airbag system
Exclusive to the manual transmission model
- Specially-made SPIRIT R bucket seats from RECARO
- 225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch alloy wheels (bronze)
Exclusive to the automatic transmission model
- Leather seats (black with red stitching)
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
- Parking brake lever (with red stitching)
- Center console box front seat armrest and rear console box lid covered with synthetic leather (with red stitching)
- Sports suspension, larger brakes
- 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)
Exterior body colors
- Aluminum Metallic
- Sparkling Black Mica
- Crystal White Pearl Mica
– By: Omar Rana