General Motors confirmed today that the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 recently lapped the Nurburgring Nordschleife in just 7:41.27. The time is nearly 40 seconds quicker than the Camaro SS that lapped the famous German track in 2009.
Chevrolet said that the Camaro ZL1 used for the lap was pre-production model with no performance modifications. It was driven by Camaro Performance Engineer Aaron Link.
Click here for more details the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.
“The Nurburgring is unlike any track in the world,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Each lap includes fast straights, sweeping off-camber turns, hairpin corners, and elevation changes. In order to do well on the ‘Ring, the car has to do everything well – including acceleration, braking, and lateral grip. Breaking an eight-minute lap in a 2+2 production car is a tremendous accomplishment, and validates that the Camaro ZL1 will truly be track-ready from the showroom.”
“The ZL1’s full capability is evident at the Nurburgring,” said Link. “One of the best moments is coming through ‘Fuchsröhre’, or Foxhole. The ZL1 accelerates at an unbelievable rate down through the tunnel of trees, and into a sweeping left-hand corner flat out in fifth gear. You have to have an extremely well-mannered, confidence-inspiring car to take any corner at 160 mph without lifting off the throttle – and the ZL1 was just brilliant.”
Hit the jump for the video.
Here’s how the Nurburgring track times rank right now.
- Radical SR8 LM: 6:48 (Aug. 2009).
- Radical SR8: 6:55 (Sept. 2005).
- Gumpert Apollo Speed: 7:11.5 (Aug. 2009).
- Dodge Viper ACR: 7:12.13 (Sep. 2011).
- Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition: 7:14 (Sep. 2011).
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 7:18 (Apr. 2010).
- 2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: 7:19.63 (Jun. 2011).
- Dodge Viper ACR: 7:22.1 (Aug. 2008).
- 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: 7:22.68 (Jun. 2011).
- Lexus LFA Nurburgring Edition: 7:22.85 (Jun. 2011).
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 7:24 (Nov. 2010).
- 2012 Nissan GT-R: 7:24.22 (Oct. 2010).
- Maserati MC12: 7:24.3 (Aug. 2008).
- Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: 7:24.44 (Aug. 2008).
- Ferrari Enzo: 7:25.7 (Aug. 2008).
- Ferrari 458 Italia: 7:32.02 (Nov. 2010).
- Koenigsegg CCX: 7:33.6 (Aug. 2008).
- Koenigsegg CCR: 7:34 (Oct. 2005).
- Lexus LFA: 7:38 (Sept. 2010).
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: 7:41.27 (Oct. 2011).
Refresher: Power for the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 comes from a LSA 6.2L supercharged V8 making 580 horsepower and 556 lb-ft of torque. The engine is matched to a Tremec TR-6060 6-speed manual transmission with a new shorter-throw shifter that improves gear changes. It also features a dual-mode exhaust system which provides a very throaty and powerful sound. Sales begin in early 2012.
– By: Omar Rana