Hyundai has achieved a huge milestone in Europe following the sale of the 5 millionth vehicle since the first Hyundai Pony was imported to the market in 1977. The five millionth Hyundai sold in Europe was the i30, which was launched in 2007 and has sold just over 320,000 units across Europe.
“Hyundai’s sales momentum in Europe has increased steadily since 1977, culminating more recently in a significant rise in demand for the brand’s cars that saw the last one million sales achieved in just three years,” Hyundai said. “For 27 consecutive months up to March 2011, Hyundai has outperformed the market sales trend in Europe.”
In 1996, Hyundai recorded its first million sale in Europe, and the two millionth car sold came in 2001.
“The i30 is a truly European car, built at Hyundai’s first manufacturing facility in Europe,” Hyundai said. “The plant in Nosovice, Czech Republic, was opened with the objective of delivering the highest quality standards, which helped to pitch i30 at the heart of the competitive European C-segment.”
- 1977: First Hyundai imported into Europe
- 1996: One Hyundai millionth car sold in Europe
- 2000: Hyundai Motor Europe GmbH established
- 2004: Opening of R&D and Design Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany
- 2006: Opening of Hyundai Motor Europe in Offenbach, Germany
- 2008: Opening of first European Production plant in Nošovice, Czech Republic
- 2011: Hyundai launches new brand slogan ‘New Thinking. New Possibilities.’
– By: Omar Rana