Looking to buy a new car for your teen? While the first car for a new driver doesn’t need to be expensive, but it’s a really bad idea to think that $500 beater is a smart choice to put your child in.
Lucky for you Consumer Reports has put together a list of models that are readily available with the recommended safety equipment and have performed well in safety-related tests.
“All are Consumer Reports recommended vehicles, meaning that they scored well in our testing and have had average or better reliability,” Consumer Reports said. “They also have sufficient acceleration to merge onto busy highways, good brakes, and scored well in emergency handling.”
Also the list features models that are readily available for less than $12,000.
Check out the list and a video about the Best Cars for Teens after the jump.
2011 Best Cars for Teens:
- Acura TSX (2004 or later)
- Ford Focus sedan (2009 or later)
- Hyundai Sonata (2006 or later)
- Hyundai Elantra SE (2008 or later)
- Mazda3 Touring (2007 or later)
- Scion xB (2008 or later)
- Volkswagen Jetta (2007 or later)
- Volkswagen Rabbit (2007 or later)
– By: Omar Rana
Source: Consumer Reports