– Key Competitors: There are none.
– Engine: MZR 1.8L 4-cylinder engine making 126-hp/167 lb-ft of torque.
– Transmission: 5-speed manual.
– Performance: 0 to 62 mph in 8.9 seconds.
– Production Possibility: None. Apparently, Mazda was just having fun.
If Mazda has no plans to offer a production version of the Mazda MX-5 Superlight Concept, than what’s the purpose of showing it at a major auto show like Frankfurt? To showcase weight-saving and fuel-efficient technologies of course.
The main focus of Mazda”s European R&D when building the Mazda MX-5 Superlight Concept was to keep the total curb weight under 1,000 kg (2,204 lbs). Performance wise this drivable concept vehicle isn’t anything special. Power comes from a 1.8L 4-cylinder making 126-hp allowing you to go from 0 to 62 mph in 8.9 seconds.
However, Mazda says that fuel-economy of the MX-5 Superlight Concept is estimated at 37 mpg. Let’s move on…
2009 Frankfurt: Mazda MX-5 Superlight Concept:
– By: Omar Rana