Ford’s new buyouts brings UAW workforce down to 47,000

Alan Mulally, Jennifer Granholm, Ron Gettlefinger

A total of 1,000 UAW members accepted FoMoCo’s buyout offers last quarter, the Dearborn automaker said. Ford said it doesn’t have plans to offer anymore buyouts, which have cut the number of active UAW employees to 47,000 – down from 95,000 in 2003. Ford said that the workers’ departure is scheduled to be completed “in the next few weeks.”

According to Automotive News, CEO Alan Mulally said during a press conference today that the participation in the new buyout offers were in line with his expectations.

The deadline to sign up for the recent buyout had been June 26. Earlier today, Ford reported second-quarter pretax operating loss of $424 million and a net profit of $2.3 billion.

– By: Omar Rana