After all the waiting, teasers and image leaks, Jaguar has finally unveiled the 2010 Jaguar XJ today in London. Surprisingly, if you like the look of this car and if it fits your budge, you won’t have to wait until next year to make your purchase. The 2010 XJ will go on sale in December 2009 with prices starting at $72,500 (deliveries, however, will begin in early 2010).
The 2010 Jaguar XJ continues to build on the success of XK and XF. The new large sports sedan will be available in both standard and long wheelbase. The long wheelbase model offers a more spacious environment for rear-seat passengers with an extra five inches of legroom.
While the Europeans will get to enjoy the 3.0L V6 diesel, the stateside market will get three versions: a 385-hp 5.0L naturally aspirated V8, a 470-hp 5.0L supercharged V8 and a 510-hp 5.0L supercharged V8.
Prices will start at $72,500 for the XJ and $79,500 for the XJL with the naturally aspirated V8. The 470-hp 2010 XJ Supercharged and the XJL Supercharged will carry a price tag of 87,500 and $90,500, respectively. The top-of-the-line 5.0L XJ and XJL Supersport will start at a $112,000 and $115,000 MSRP, respectively.
Make the leap for the press release, high-res image gallery and a video.
2010 Jaguar XJ:
2010 Jaguar XJ in Action:
REVEALED TODAY – THE ALL NEW 2010 JAGUAR XJ
The All New XJ brings a bold and daring new spirit to automotive luxury
MAHWAH, N.J., JULY 9, 2009 /PRNewswire/ – Jaguar proudly revealed the all new 2010 Jaguar XJ today in London. The iconic XJ offers a seductive mix of striking design and robust performance made possible by Jaguar’s aerospace-inspired light weight aluminum body technology. The all new Jaguar XJ will go on sale in December 2009, with a starting price of $72,500 MSRP. It is available to order today for delivery in early 2010.
Building on the success of the XK and XF, the new XJ is the third step in the revitalization of the Jaguar brand and redefines the world’s perception of a large sports sedan. The new XJ will be available in both standard and long wheelbase models. The long wheelbase offers an even more sumptuous and refined environment for rear-seat passengers with an additional five inches of legroom while the XJ’s trunk features power opening and closing for convenient access to the 15.2 cu. ft. storage space (with standard alloy space saver spare wheel).
The all new Jaguar XJ brings new standards of sustainability to the luxury vehicle segment. Its lightweight aluminum structure makes it at least 300 lbs. lighter over steel body construction, and is made with 50 percent recycled material allowing the XJ to minimize its carbon footprint and create a potential savings of three tons of CO2 per vehicle, compared to a body shell made entirely of new aluminum. These aerospace-inspired aluminum body technologies also provide benefits to performance, handling and fuel economy, while delivering increased strength, refinement and safety.
“The launch of the all new Jaguar XJ marks a major milestone for Jaguar in North America, which is expected to be the world’s largest Jaguar XJ market,” says Gary Temple, President of Jaguar Land Rover North America. “The debut of our ultimate four-door flagship follows recent recognition for exceptional dependability and clearly demonstrates our commitment to producing the finest cars in the world – fast, beautiful cars that offer luxury, performance and first-rate quality.”
The first impression of the all new XJ is its visual assertiveness. The XJ’s sleek lines are complemented by a taut waistline, which further accentuates the impression of length and elegance, and creates a natural tension as it fades from the front arch into the middle section of the car before reappearing as a strong haunch towards the rear.
The New XJ offers a modern reinterpretation of a number of key XJ design cues while maintaining the highest standards of personal luxury. This is evident in how the strong, muscular lower half of the car contrasts with the slim and graceful quality of the roofline – a nod to the original 1968 XJ sedan.
A standard panoramic glass roof is an integral part of the all new XJ’s design, enabling the car to have a lower, more streamlined roofline, while dramatically enhancing the feeling of light and space inside. The LED light clusters wrap stylishly over the rear fenders, and feature three dramatic red vertical strips while the elongated teardrop shape of the side windows establishes the car’s silhouette. The rear of the all new XJ is notable for its pure, sculpted shape. With a conscious absence of ornamentation, the rear features only a single leaping Jaguar.
The face of the all new 2010 XJ is confident, with a wide front track and short overhang contributing to the finely judged proportions. The nose of the car follows Jaguar’s new design language with a bold and assertive treatment – the powerful mesh grille and slim xenon headlights create a strong road presence while the wrap-around rear screen reduces the visual weight of the pillars and gives the impression of an exotic “floating” roof.
“The new XJ is a thoroughly modern interpretation of the quintessential Jaguar,” says Ian Callum, Design Director, Jaguar Cars. “Its visual impact stems from the elongated teardrop shape of the car’s side windows; that powerful stance and its wide track. It is the most emphatic statement yet of Jaguar’s new design direction.”
The sleek design and refined luxury is continued inside the all new XJ by mixing newly advanced technologies and contemporary design to create an environment more akin to a state-of-the-art living space than a car cabin. The overriding impression from the interior is a sense of personal space that is enhanced by the clean, simple form of the leather-wrapped instrument panel sitting low across the vehicle. At the center of the instrument panel is an analog clock with individual chrome chaplets, a spun metal face and iridescent blue background; a look inspired by luxury watches.
The all new XJ’s cabin is a marvel in its own right, blending elegant, contemporary design with the comfort, luxury and unmistakable sporting style of a Jaguar. Chrome and piano black detailing provide an eye-catching contrast to the beautifully crafted leather and veneer surfaces. To further complement the cabin design is a level of choice in colors, veneers and leathers not seen before in a Jaguar. Four specification levels – XJ, XJL, Supercharged and Supersport – allow the customer to tailor the car to suit their tastes. The top-of-the-range Supersport provides the ultimate expression of performance and luxury, with a specification that includes a leather headlining, semi-aniline leather seats and veneers with laser inlays.
Stunning, 12.3-inch high-definition Virtual InstrumentsTM complement an innovative 8-inch Touch-screen that displays vehicle functions ranging from audio and video to navigation and climate control. Premium surround sound options include the top-of-the-range 1200W Bowers & Wilkins system, which is standard on the Supercharged and Supersport models. Advanced infotainment features also include hard drive-based audio and navigation systems, and comprehensive connectivity for portable audio and video devices via the powerful Media Hub.
The all new XJ’s beauty is much more than skin-deep. All engines transmit power through an enhanced version of Jaguar’s acclaimed electronically controlled, six-speed automatic transmission which has a fully-adaptive shift system that delivers extremely smooth gear changes and works to balance performance and economy.
With the XJ, Jaguar has built upon its leading quality performance using the latest virtual product technologies. These proven Jaguar dynamic technologies are taken to new levels in the all new XJ. Features such as air suspension, Adaptive Dynamics (continuously variable damping), Active Differential Control (on Supercharged and Supersport) and quick-ratio power steering deliver the blend of responsive, dynamic handling and a refined, supple ride expected from a Jaguar.
The new XJ will be available in the US with a choice of three engines – a 5.0 liter 385hp naturally aspirated V8, 5.0 liter 470hp supercharged V8 and a 5.0 liter 510hp supercharged V8. In naturally-aspirated form, the XJ develops 380 lb.-ft. of torque. The supercharged versions develop 424 lb.-ft. and 461 lb.-ft. of torque, respectively. All three engines combine deft performance, unparalleled character, peerless pedigree, and have a classic Jaguar blend of strength and precision.
The all new 2010 Jaguar XJ delivers a driving experience that is just as memorable as the car’s sleek and alluring appearance, combining responsive, sporting dynamics with the luxurious drive expected from a Jaguar.
All New Jaguar XJ At-A-Glance
* As the company’s ultimate four-door flagship, the all new XJ extends the appeal of the legendary XJ line to a new generation of customers.
* The all new XJ will be available in the US with a choice of three engines – a 5.0 liter 385hp naturally aspirated V8, 5.0 liter 470hp supercharged V8 and a 5.0 liter 510hp supercharged V8. In naturally-aspirated form, the XJ develops 380 lb. ft. of torque. The supercharged versions develop 424 lb. ft. and 461 lb. ft. of torque, respectively.
* The new XJ features both standard and long wheelbase models. The long wheelbase offers an even more sumptuous and refined environment for rear-seat passengers with an additional five inches of legroom while the XJ’s trunk features power opening and closing for convenient access to the 15.2 cu. ft. storage space (with standard alloy space saver spare wheel).
* The new Jaguar XJ is constructed using Jaguar’s aerospace-inspired aluminum body technology, which makes the XJ at least 300 lbs. lighter over steel body construction; providing benefits to performance, handling and fuel economy, while delivering increased strength, refinement and safety.
* Key driver aids on the new XJ include Adaptive Dynamics (continuously variable damping), Active Differential Control (available only on Supercharged and Supersport), and Sequential Shift System for manual gear selection, with shift paddles mounted behind the steering wheel and quick-ratio power steering.
* The new XJ comes standard with a CD/DVD player, HD radio, and a SIRIUSTM satellite radio receiver. In addition, the Media Hub provides flexible connectivity through two USB ports, Bluetooth® audio streaming and an auxiliary input, which allow the user to connect with iPods®, iPhonesTM, laptops and Blackberrys®.
* A 12.3-inch high-definition screen, which uses sophisticated – and beautifully detailed – Virtual InstrumentsTM, provides all of the functions performed by traditional dials.
* A panoramic glass roof is an integral part of the all new XJ’s design, enabling the car to have a lower, more streamlined roofline, while dramatically enhancing the feeling of light and space inside.
* The all new Jaguar XJ can be ordered today for delivery in early 2010 and will go on sale in December 2009, with a starting price of $72,500 MSRP.
The All New XJ Model Line Will Include:
* 5.0-liter naturally aspirated XJ and XJL (385hp) with a $72,500 and 79,500 MSRP, respectively
* 5.0-liter XJ and XJL Supercharged (470hp) with a $87,500 and $90,500 MSRP, respectively
* 5.0-liter XJ and XJL Supersport (510hp) with a $112,000 and $115,000 MSRP, respectively