Nardelli: We’re working on the next-generation Durango, Charger, Chrysler 300

America’s favorite automotive CEO Bob Nardelli (okay there’s some sarcasm there) confirmed today that the automaker is working on the next-generation Dodge Durango – which was discontinued last year after Chrysler closed the Newark, Del., plant where it made the Durango and the Chrysler Aspen.

Nardelli confirmed plans in a letter sent out to Chrysler employees on Friday. He said that Chrysler is also working on the next-generation Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans. According to the letter, Chrysler will build the Durango alongside the next-generation Jeep Cherokee at its Jefferson Avenue North plant, reports Automotive News.

Nardelli also cleared up the Chrysler/Fiat partnership by saying that the two automakers have a non-binding agreement that would give the Italian automaker 35 percent stake in Chrysler LLC.

“It is important to note that no U.S. taxpayer funds would go to Fiat,” the letter said in an answer to a U.S. senator that asked Obama to require Chrysler to repay its loan if Fiat takes control of Chrysler. “The alliance is based on an exchange of equity for assets. Fiat would acquire an equity stake in Chrysler by giving us access to substantially all its vehicle platforms and technologies.”

The U.S. Department of Treasury has handed Chrysler $billion in bridge loans so far. Nardelli said that the company still needs the other $3 billion to survive.

Do you think Chrysler should be focusing on the next-Durango SUV and the 300 and Charger sedans in a market like this? Have your say in the comments section below.